1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Cameron Suspended by MLB for failing drug test

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://pressbox.mlb.com/pressbox/news/pressbox_story.jsp?ymd=20071031&content_id=2289396&vkey=pressbox&fext=.jsp

I was perusing MLBpressbox.com and saw this. It was posted about 30 minutes ago. Apologies if this has been posted already.

Cameron Suspended

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Mike Cameron, who finished the 2007 season as a member of the San Diego Padres, has received a 25-game suspension for testing positive for a banned stimulant in violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

The suspension of Cameron, who is currently eligible to file for free agency, will be effective at the start of the 2008 regular season.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Could be big. I know the Braves were really interested in him as a stop-gap replacement for Andruw Jones until one of their top minor-league prospects --- Jordan Schafer or the recently acquired Gorkys Hernandez --- are ready.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's only 25 games. So he misses the first five weeks, big deal.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wicked, still hurts his value. So is the possibility of him deflating if he gets off the juice or getting suspended again if he doesn't.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

True, but it wasn't for juice, it was for a banned stimulant -- amphetamines, possibly. If it were 'roids or a real performance enhancer, it would've been 50 games.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Whoops. Shows what I get for not reading closely.

Though who knows if losing the use of the stimulant could hurt his game, too.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And he also is on the downside of his career. I don't think it'll affect his market value too much, though -- the FA outfield market already is cluttered enough as it is.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

He actually was on 1090 AM, the Padres' flagship station, this morning (my alarm went off at 7:10 a.m. and he was already talking) and he was trying to explain that it wasn't steroids that he tested positive for, etc., etc. Later, as I drove to work, callers were ripping on him endlessly. Nice try, Cameron.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And knowing Cameron, he'll probably be suffering from nagging injuries or worse to begin the year anyway.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

My sources tell me he took it for a pitutary gland tumor.

If you're a fan of a team that needs a CF, be warned: The afar view of Cameron is much, Much, MUCH better than what you see everyday.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Distance is his friend, huh?

Sounds like Junk Jones (except everyone knows he sucks now).

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kinda like Ken Griffey on the Simpsons...

Draft saved Draft deleted