1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Might as well rename it the "copy editor/design job board"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JME, Jan 11, 2007.

1. JME

JME Member

That's all there seems to be here anymore. The dearth of writing jobs out there is astounding when you consider how many papers there are.

I realize this is the slow season for jobs and am not blaming anyone, but the atrophy of the market for sports writers seems to be at an all-time high (or low). The business is dying.

2. Kable

Kable Member

Well, it just means that people have to get more versatile. Expand on our skills.

3. JME

JME Member

Perhaps. Or, if you aren't interested in desk work, find another career.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Even pre-Internet, there were more ads for editors than writers in the E&P classifieds. That's because copy editors and designers are anonymous, so you have to look harder to find one.

5. JME

JME Member

True enough, Frank, but listings for writing jobs are rare these days. Ads for writing jobs above the entry level are virtually non-existant.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Once May and June rolls around, there will be plenty of writing jobs. It's the same cycle every year.

7. As Frank said, there are more jobs posted for copy editors and designers because it is so hard to find them. It's much easier to find a writer, and there are many more writers out there.

Just look at the job postings on this site. There are 923 page views for a writer at something called the Wallowa County Chieftain. There are 235 page views for a job as a designer at the L.A. Daily News.

Whenever we've had a writer opening, we go after people we want. We don't post ads. But jobs on the desk have been very difficult to fill.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Most of the big-time writing gigs (read: not entry level) go unposted.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

plus, it's just that time of year. shit always looks this crazy about now. just glad i actually have a good job this time around as opposed to last year when i would search the jobs board every day and get pissed off.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I have a theory that most people in the business think copy editing jobs aren't as fun (or harder than, take your pick) as writing, and thus it's harder to find copy editors. Which in my mind explains why there are always copy editing jobs open.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mostly correct in your assessment, I'd say.

A good desker takes a different set of skills and mind-set. But it can be just as fun, and just as challenging, unless you think it's only a stepping stone to writing again. In that, you'll be greatly disappointed.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've never understood why anyone thought they could advance their career as a writer by taking on copy editing work. Seeing another side of the biz, or something like that. But I've always feared taking a CE job, thinking I'd get pigeonholed.

Draft saved Draft deleted