1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midland Reporter-Telegram looking for sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pantherprowl, Nov 20, 2008.

1. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

From jjobs:

Company: Midland Reporter-Telegram
    Position:
    Wanted: Ace sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    December 25, 2008
    Job ID: 996998

Description:
    The Midland (Texas) Reporter-Telegram, a Hearst Corporation Newspaper (20,000 daily, 25,000 Sunday) in West Texas, is seeking a sports reporter for our award winning sports section. We are looking for someone who can provide fresh ideas to our staff to help enhance a quality section. Even though this is primarily a writing position, some design and copy editing is required as we do everything here. Our focus is on high school sports, especially football, but the Permian Basin's sports scene is complemented by a Double-A baseball team, minor league hockey, indoor football, a yearly Nationwide Tour golf event, a very active local golf scene and a new minor league soccer franchise. We also provide limited coverage of Texas Tech University sports. Candidates should have a strong knowledge of AP Style, while experience with Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Freehand is preferred. Experience is a plus but recent college graduates will be considered. We plan to fill this position quickly.

Please send resume, clips and layouts to: Len Hayward, Sports Editor P.O. Box 1650 Midland, TX 79701 hayward@mrt.com

For more information: Len Hayward, Sports Editor (432) 687-8846 hayward@mrt.com

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Len Hayward is good people.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How big is Midland? Cost of living?

4. spud

spud Member

Its about 100,000 and growing thanks to the oil industry out there. You'll go to restaurants or department stores where they simply don't have enough people to staff them. It won't be that way for long, but they're practically begging folks to move out there. And Odessa is a rock's throw away and there's another 100,000+. It's nicer than you'd probably think for a dusty flat-land, but you're still in BFE, and it isn't exactly Dallas.

Some nice people out there, but you'll quickly find they (not the paper, some of the crazy ass parents) take their prep sports as seriously as death out there.

5. The MRT does take prep sports seriously, though. They cover preps as well as any paper in Texas and would make a good run at anybody in the country.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I thought the Irish Italian Stallion was Springsteen. Bruce? Is that you? ;D

7. Wish I could say yes. But I am not the Boss.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A birdie told me, a former Hobbs journalist is interviewing for this job soon.

Though, I was also told to apply anyway.

For more information on this job, PM away.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Cost of living is about as low as you're going to find in continental US. Main beef is that you're too bloody far from everywhere else.

But it's not a bad second or third gig for a reporter who likes preps and knows his way around.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe before oil took off, anymore in West Texas, it is out of control. Anyone who tells you different? Well, call someone at the paper and ask how easy it is to find an apartment.

Last I heard Midland was 92 percent full (as far as apartments went) and Odessa was 98 percent.

Until the next bust happens, you will have to work to find someplace to live, though there are affordable places.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

buying may have been cheap back in the day there, but renting never was cheap from what i understand.

12. Jackie_Chiles

Jackie_Chiles New Member

Anyone have any updates on this one? Its listing on journalismjobs.com appears to have been removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted