1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Middle-aged f'ing studs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

After that authentic prairie gibberish, we'll turn the mike over to Howard Johnson

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

As usual around here lately, this is one depressing thread.
    I'm figuring I won't get the chance to be 50 and look back, like FoF can, and see what I don't see now. I'll be in some different business.
    I'm three weeks shy of 30, and like to think I'm pretty good at what I do. Still young, still strong, not completely stupid, like JG said. Of course, I'm not nearly as good as I think I am. I know this to be true because I also thought I was pretty good when I was 23. And looking back, I sucked. I hope to feel the same way in 10 years.

One of the things I love about this business is that you can always do it better tomorrow. Accumulated wisdom means a lot in writing, and if you're trying, you'll improve. I just feel like I'm running out of time to improve, and I'm only getting warmed up. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I worked with Durrett and I will be 35 soon. He's younger than me. But thanks for checking in, Richard.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Redoubtable Hibernian,

I'm fudging on my age a bit. Hey, when I was 30 I didn't foresee 50 either. And I didn't know that I'd look back at 40 and cringe when I read my stuff from my 20s. Write like you're going to die tomorrow, I guess. Be willing to learn like you'll live forever. Hardly original but it's all I got. Depressing? If you're not laughing after mr macg's thread, lighten up.

YD&OHS, etc

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's one 10-year group there? No gradation or break at or around 60? I ain't getting there for a while yet (whew), but I'd like to think that 55-60 might have something going for it that's different from 60-65, at which point someone might be chewing my food first.

And what if my preferred Youngs are Cy, Robert, Andrew, Neil, Sean, Paul and Matt?

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

what, no Mighty Joe?

7. Faithless

Faithless Member

Check back with us 15 years from now and let's see if you still feel as chipper about yourself and the business as you do now.

Seriously, I'm glad you feel that way. In 15 years you'll be at the age I'm at now. Been with the same 35K-circulation shop 22 years. Instead of improving in this profession, I believe I'm regressing. I make more errors in my copy than I did 15 years ago, I fail to catch errors when proofing other copy and pages, and my organizational and time management skills are becoming more disorganized. Maybe the job I have is too much for one person to handle, but I don't see the shop management rushing to give me help anytime soon. Maybe it's just a simple case of burnout and a sign it's time to get out.

When I'm in my 50s, I see myself in another line of work. Hell, make that in my late 40s. Our shop has a way of pushing out the door good folks who've been with the paper 20-plus years. Call me paranoid, but I think it's gonna happen to me.

You're right. This is one depressing thread.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Faithless, I give you props for your honest and maybe even too harsh evaluation of yourself. We're so drilled to "market" ourselves and tout our strengths -- say, for a performance review -- that it's rare for someone to do an honest appraisal and admit to backsliding. Nowadays, it would be like asking for a pink slip, since management might pounce on someone being that honest.

But the first step to fixing the situation is to see it clearly. You're probably being too hard on yourself, first of all. That you notice the slippage is a sign that you're not complacent about it and probably can improve it. Or, as you suggest, the best answer might be for you to head down a new, refreshing path. Here's hoping you find it. :)

Excessive workload might be the next big ugly monster looming in this business, given the reduced head count in newsrooms. And since many of us already are overworked and underpaid, it could exacerbate things.

Draft saved Draft deleted