1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan Serial Killer Arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The guy that was stabbing people in Flint, MI was arrested at the Atlanta airport before he could board a flight to Israel.

It's also being reported that he is Catholic.

I wonder why the reporter thought that was relevant to the story.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, God knows them wafer-munchers ain't welcome deep in the hearta".

::)

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, the crimes did occur in Flint, so of those 27 people who were shanked, how many of them we're criminals? My bet is more than 10.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just seems like an odd comment.

There's no indication, at this time, that his religion was a motivating factor in his actions -- whatever his religion might turn out to be.

I don't recall anyone reporting on what the Connecticut beer distributor killer, Omar Thornton's, religion was.

Why would they report on this guy's religion? Especially when it's not even been confirmed yet?

5. Football_Bat

So who brought up religion first?

6. Football_Bat

Ah, the old dodge. Someone ELSE reported it.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Because most of the victims were black and the stabbings were being investigated largely as race-based serial killings, his background would be relevant.

But, right now, not enough is really known about his background to report it. If the information isn't confirmed, it shouldn't be reported.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A large percentage of readers will see a last-name that sounds vaguely Middle-Eastern (even though it's not Arab) and wonder about Muslim terrorism. His religion seems relevant to me.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great now my above post makes me sound like a racist. This is what I get for only reading the headlines of news stories.

10. RickStain

How many of the victims came from single-parent homes?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was surprised I hadn't heard about the killings before the guy was caught. Don't know if the pieces weren't put together or what, but sprees like this usually warrant their own music theme and title on the cable nets.

12. RickStain

I heard it on NPR and I think it was on the front page of NYTimes.com in the last week or so. The radio report was tying it with the cuts in police coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted