1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michie Stadium + Army Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

OK . . . clue me in.

Presume the visitors' side is the sun side. Please confirm or deny.

Been there a couple of times, but don't remember . . . is that a sunken field, or are the first rows of each seating section on the sidelines at field level?

Muchos gracias.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Visitor's side is to the east, on the Hudson side of field, so yes, you're right. Don't remember the first two rows, all I remember is climbing every row of the place to get to the press box. I know THEY'RE fit at the academy, but why take it out on me?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Visitors side is east, the river side of the stadium. The west grandstand is sort of in a bowl but the east grandstand is at ground level. It's old, there are concessions and rest rooms underneath and it can get crowded on the concourse underneath if there's a decent-sized crowd.

I was there several years ago for a game against Central Michigan, in an absolute monsoon. Thankfully I was in the Hollender Center for pre-game, and in the suites in the southwest corner for the game and could stay dry. I think it rained more than five inches that day, it was unbelievable. Could not even get up on post it was raining so hard.

It's beautifully situated. Just wish it would have been a sunny day.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I remember watching that game on TV - I think a few of the CMU folks that stood on the sideline were having some hypothermia issues. I think it was the first season under Kelly, that game.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thanks . . . still curious about the relative height of the first row on the Army side, vis a vis field level.
    Have a shot at a couple of those first-row seats, but not sure I want them if they're directly behind the Cadet bench. Any help appreciated . . . tks.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would also be thrilled to know how high I'd have to sit to be shielded from any rain, on the home side . . .

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

End zones are North to South. Army is on west sideline and visitors are on East.

As far as sun I guess it depends on time of day. For a 12 pm start thinking sun would be centered about south end zone. 2 pm or later sun will be on visitor side.

From memory row 1 seats would not give you best view of field but would be offset by pageantry of cadets ect.

Army game is a great experience. One of better settings in college football on an autumn day. too bad the team is not better.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love the game day experience at West Point.

But, it's been 15 years or more since I've been to a game, so I have no advice.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

not positive but i think you need to be at least 20 rows up to be under cover. went about 10 years ago to see UAB, which had Bryan Thomas. remember it rained and i was in the end zone and got wet. remember seeing the cadets in the stands and pretty sure all of them were getting wet and think they're in the first 15-20 rows. last game up there was about 5 years ago and sat on visitors side about 5 rows up. that was pretty good but first couple rows you're about same level as players on the sideline. if i could pick i'd take 10-20th row in October. that place is especially beautiful in Oct.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Best image I could find in a quick check. Might want to be above row 10, and it's quite a ways up to be under cover on the west side.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tremendous. Thanks.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Come on Ben, you will be watching guys that might end up living in mud for weeks on end. The least you can do is deal with the elements for 3 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted