1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Branch helps make Billboard chart history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 31, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The A-C chart is a freaking joke. That Matchbox 20 ballad a few years ago must have been in the Top 10 of that for 18 months. Hell, it might still be there.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh yeah, THAT narrows it down. :D

How long would "One More Night" have been on the charts today? Forty-seven years?

Two Billboard-related threads on the front page, that must be a record.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Branch's partner in The Wreckers is Jess Harp, sted Jennifer Harp. She's from Kansas City and had a pretty good following in the Midwest with a couple of independent releases. She also sang backup on previous Branch tours.

Their debut CD has about 5 really good tunes. It's when they try to appeal to country fans that it goes downhill for me. But Harp definitely has the better voice.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're right. My mistake.

It only reflects what AC radio stations are playing.

That's the one, although it's a duet featuring Dobie, who gets to solo on the bridge.

Except she can play an instrument (guitar) and she writes her own songs. Two huge differences.

It used to be that way, but the sale of digital downloads is now a big factor into how the Hot 100 is compiled. "SexyBack" debuted on the chart in July on the basis of radio airplay alone and was moving pretty slowly, going 90-81-66-60-52-35-31. But it was released last week to iTunes and took off from there, selling more than 250,000 downloads and entering the Digital Tracks chart at No. 1. That has accounted for such a huge jump to No. 1 on the main chart.

I also learned today that 200,000 downloads is a platinum sales figure in this day and age. Remember when you had to sell two million copies of a record for it to be a platinum-selling single? That's back in the days being referenced by patchs. Damn, I gotta move down there and get XM!

5. KP

KP Active Member

From 10 years ago. The top 10 from Sept. 7, 1996

10. You Learn/You Oughta Know - Alanis Morrissette
    9. I Can't Sleep Baby (If I) - R. Kelly
    8. You're Makin' Me High/Let It Flow - Toni Braxton
    7. Hit Me Off - New Edition
    6. Change The World (From "Phenomenon") - Eric Clapton
    5. C'mon N' Ride It (The Train) - Quad City DJ's
    4. Lougin - LL Cool J
    3. Twisted - Keith Sweat
    2. I Love You Always Forever - Donna Lewis

And the number 1 song 10 years ago....
    Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix) - Los Del Rio

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember those songs very well. I got married on September 14 and the DJ played "Macarena" not once, but twice. And the dance floor was filled both times.

First dance that night -- "Love Me Tender." :)

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Wreckers CD, though I love "Leave The Pieces." The CD is too uneven. And PD is right...the really country tracks are the weak spots.

8. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Proof that it wasn't always better back then.

Then again, Top 40 has been hurting for a few years, so go back 20 years, maybe...?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The heyday of Top 40 was approximately from, ohh, I'd say about 1967-1974, when sometimes the hardest of hard rock could rank right alongside down-and-dirty funky R&B, country, teeniebop pop and semi-novelty adult songs all on the same charts.

But then, "rock" evolved into 'pop-rock' and 'album-rock,' 'disco' off from R&B, and the whole thing splintered.

10. She may have a child, but Branch is not a "MILF."
    There are rules.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

So they play the same song for 18 months?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Daniel Powter song is awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted