1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Branch helps make Billboard chart history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Branch and Jennifer Harp, her partner in The Wreckers, have hit No. 1 on the Billboard Country Songs chart. They're the first female duo to go to the top of that chart with their first single since 1953.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart_beat/bonus_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003085852

In other Billboard news, Justin Timberlake's new hit "SexyBack" goes from 31 to 1, finally ending Fergie's run at No. 1 on the Hot 100. "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley is down to No. 4 after seven straight weeks in second place.

"Bad Day" by Daniel Powter is atop the Adult Contemporary chart for an 18th week. That's pretty amazing, but it still has 11 weeks to go before it can claim the all-time record on this chart -- "Drift Away" by Uncle Kracker and Dobie Gray was No. 1 for 28 weeks.

And on the Hot Ringtones chart, "Super Mario Brothers Theme" by Koji Kondo is again No. 1. It's been on the chart for a whopping 98 weeks. Not far behind, with 96 weeks on the list, is "The Pink Panther Theme" by Henry Mancini, which reaches a new high of No. 6 this week.

Other oldies but goodies on this chart include "Halloween" by John Carpenter (peaked at 2, now at 11), "Mission Impossible" by Lalo Schifrin (peaked at 3, now at 12), Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird" (now peaking at 14 and 24, respectively) and "Bad Boys" by Inner Circle (peaked at 10, now at 21).

2. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I like this song. They sound good together!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

There's so much to be frightened about in Double J's post, I don't even know where to begin.

1.) Was that the "London Bridge" song at no. 1 for THREE WEEKS?

2.) It's been replaced by a JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE single?

3.) "Bad Day" has been no. 1 on the A/C chart for EIGHTEEN WEEKS?

4.) The record stint for a song atop the A/C charts is "DRIFT AWAY" which stayed there for TWENTY-EIGHT WEEKS?!

5.) There's a RINGTONES chart?!

What...the...fuck.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes to all of the above. It's not the Billboard we used to know.

In fairness, though, it's also not the music scene we used to know.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'd fucking hammer Michelle Branch, and then die a happy man. She's incredible. {/8thGradeOnTheRiver}

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A song should not be able to jump from #31 straight to #1 in the United States. That mess only happens on the British charts.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Michelle Branch is a lovely young lady and she has a decent voice. I mean, I would never buy one of her records, but I would rather look at her and listen to her than Fergie or Britney. She's in the same category as Kelly Clarkson in my book....

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Right now XM is airing American Top 40 from Sept. 4 1982.
    I'm listening to Santana, Alan Parsons Project, Joan Jett, Willie Nelson, Jackson Browne, Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work, Kenny Rogers, Donna Summer, Air Supply, Survivor, Steve Miller and Chicago.
    That's what top 40 was about, the best of disco, rock, soft rock, new wave and country.
    Those days are long gone, too bad.
    Try telling me music today has a shelf life of more than 3 months.
    Sucks getting old.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
    I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
    Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
    I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Great song. Great, great, great song.

And Michelle Branch is No. 1 with a bullet on my MILF list.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Branch is a mom?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Married May 2004 to her bassist (who's 19 years her senior).

Baby (son? daughter? one of the above, anyway) born in August 2005.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I don't think its the Dobie Gray version that was No. 1 was 28 weeks, it was probably the crap ass Uncle Kracker version from a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted