1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Micheal Ray Richardson outburst during CBA finals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WazzuGrad00, Mar 28, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Michael Ray Richardson isn't a racist. He might not be the brightest individual, but he's not a racist.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

he's probably an alcoholic

3. boots

boots New Member

He's been off the sauce for many years. Part of his AA and NA training.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Ya dude that's cold.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stupidity is not a defense against racism, though in this case, I don't think he's a racist.

6. boots

boots New Member

The ship be sinkin!

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

sorry boots, but that's a racist comment. This isn't Charlie Ward's ignorant rantings or Rev. Reggie White's uneducated utterings, this goes to the heart of anti-Semetism. Most nonJewish people consider those of the Jewish faith to be a race unto themselves. And hatred of Judiaism is racism, at least for someone like Michael Ray, who doesn't know any better.

I look for Rhoden to excuse him. Michael Ray, while not the current personality John Rocker was when he went all stupid, will just get laughed at for an hour, then forgotten. Until Bill tells us of his depressing family background. Maybe like Kramer we'll find out that Michael Ray is part Jewish, or atleast considers himself part Jewish.

8. boots

boots New Member

Michael Ray's ex-wife is Jewish. Michael Ray made a racist statement, I will not defend that. However, I will defend that I don't think that he is a racist. People who have been around Michael Ray knows he's not a bright guy and know that he's prone to say anything. But I don't think he's racist.
    Michael Ray ruined his career because of drugs and bitterly complained that the several suspensions he received from the NBA were unfair given the fact that Chris Mullin was never disciplined by the league for his well-documented alcohol problem, implying that this "double standard" existed because Richardson is African-American while Mullin is white.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

When I first heard this story I was pissed, because all the local news guy said was MRR made an antisemetic remark saying something about his big-time Jew lawyer, which actually isn't antisemetic - replace the word Jew with Christian, white, black, Chinese, not offensive.
    However, after reading everything else, his black ass should be suspended ...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can take any of what he said as hateful. Prejudiced, sure, but not hateful. And not racists. Jewish people are not a race.

Personally, I thought it was more stupid than offensive, and I am Jewish.

11. boots

boots New Member

Exactly. Michael Ray isn't a racist. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's no racist.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I find it racist when he says mronic things that the Jews run everything. Thats like saying only blacks can play basketball

Draft saved Draft deleted