1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm sure this may have been covering on the Running NFL Thread, but curious to know what kind of season Vick will have this year? I took him first in my fantasy draft this weekend ("No one cares about your fantasy team!"), so it's kind of grabbed my interest that way. But even the whole fantasy angle aside, does he regress to the mean? Is he injury-prone? Does he once again become the perennial work in progress that he was in Atlanta?

Curious to see what some of the board's resident NFL experts think, as I'm more of a casual football fan with the exception of the local team.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Andy Reid makes every quarterback better, so Vick will be excellent as long as he's healthy, which I don't think will be for the entire season.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll be great until someone cuts his throat and drowns him.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I just want to know how his season would go if he were white.

5. Mizzougrad96

Slowly.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

No way he stays healthy for the entire season. At the very least he slows down toward the end. A lot.
    /wishful thinking

7. Mizzougrad96

I'll bet he misses 2-3 games during the season.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I cover the Eagles. They have an unsettled o-line right now. Lotsa weapons, though. I can tell you they expect he's going to have an excellent year. I think he has to make it through the first month or so without being killed while the line comes together.

If I played fantasy football, which I don't, I'd want LeSean McCoy this year.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

better this should be a thread surmising how many games vick misses this season. i'm going with four.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That Washington game last year was as much about a franchise in disarray as it was about Vick's otherworldly skills. And he did have a fantastic comeback against the Giants. But he also was held in check fairly well by the Vikings, and then by the Packers in the playoffs. Add to that the injury risk in the way he plays, as shockey said, and I don't think he's going to be the all-world player he's forecast to be.

The other stealth issue is his receivers' health. Nobody seems to know what is going on with Maclin, but that weight loss means he's going to be weak all year. And D-Jax is in that concussion loop where one good hit could knock him out for several games, the whole season, hell, maybe even his career.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Vick has amazing gifts but he's so susceptible to injury given the way he plays. Manning's streak is all the more amazing when you contrast his style with that of a Vick. The way Manning takes a jab step here, another one there, just to get the ball out without a hit is where his greatness lies.

Back to Vick, he just gets hit so much and we've seen the results. If he gets blasted like he did by the Browns last week, he's not going to last 8 games. If he starts going to the TE and RB more, instead of forcing throws downfield or running, he'll have a better chance of lasting the season.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If he's anything like Haynesworth, after getting his $100 million contract ($40 million guaranteed), he'll play like ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted