1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick thread -- Decision Day?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I love puppies!, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Since the other thread was locked because of jailhouse sodomy references...

Here's the latest (from the WWL):
    --------------------------

"With two more co-defendants distancing themselves from Michael Vick, the embattled Falcons quarterback was considering on Monday whether to accept a plea agreement for his alleged role in a dogfighting operation.

"Sources told ESPN's Kelly Naqi that Vick attorneys Larry Woodward and Billy Martin met with federal prosecutor Michael Gill and the investigators on Monday afternoon. The attorneys planned to speak with the quarterback in the evening to see what direction he wants to go in...

"A source close to the investigation told Naqi that Vick has until Friday to make up his mind whether to accept a plea agreement. Otherwise a superseding indictment will be filed and Vick will face at least two more federal dogfighting charges."

---------------------------------------------

Starman (I think) brought up the point that Vick has nothing to offer federal prosecutors for a plea. So I wonder what kind of deal he would make. Maybe someone higher up in the dog fighting community?

Either way, Vick would definitely be gone this year and probably next. Adjust your fantasy teams accordingly.

The good news for Vick is he would be natural for a starring role in the sequel to "The Longest Yard".

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Re: New Michael Vick thread (no butt references edition)

Two things:

1) Let's assume, for a moment, that Vick truly is guilty. What would be the best for him right now and what are possible consequences of a plea? One local radio wonk offered that if Vick pleaded out, the "real" story wouldn't come out. I disagree. Couldn't prosecutors easily make it a condition of a plea that Vick provide a full disclosure to be made public? And in the end, wouldn't that be better than leaving so much of it to speculation?

2) After spending MANY minutes talking about Vick, the local radio guys went on break and the first commercial that followed? An energy company using dog racing to sell their product. WTF?

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It might be possible that Vick is the biggest fish in this case. The one with the highest profile, at least.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the plea the Feds are offering will be pretty severe. I'm guessing the Feds want to play this out in court and not take a win via forfeit by way of a plea.

If Vick was smart, he would plea (whatever it may be) because I think a heavy legal bill and federal taxes in the spring (you know these guys don't put money away for this) would probably nearly bankrupt him.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

a plea would be in vick's best interests, since his lawyers would no doubt insist all details of the case be sealed. a trial, no matter the verdict, would likely end his career because the details will be ugly. it would just be like o.j. -- found not guilty by a jury, but guilty in too many people's eyes, a persona non grata forever.

why would the feds be wiiling to deal? a plea means guilty and comes with a sentence, no? ??? ??? ???

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure that's a fair or accurate generalization (assuming you're talking about pro athletes in general), and he'd still have to pay whether he pleads or not. I think puppies has a fair point. What DOES he have to offer prosecutors? He may not be THE top name in dog fighting, but he's certainly one of the higher-profile guys they could get (unless Vick somehow names other well-known athletes...that would put a twist on this case, wouldn't it?)

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That's what I was thinking. They are probably pleading him to the max, the deal being additional charges won't be brought against him, and he will save a few million in legal fees. On top of legal fees, aren't the Falcons supposedly also looking for some of their bonus money back? With his sponsors treating him like the plague, his bank balance is getting smaller by the second.

The feds, on the otherhand, save on budget, as well as save against the chance for an O.J. not guilty-type verdict. They get their guilty high profile guy and send a message to all dog fighting rings – whatever that may be. It's win-win-win all the way for the feds.

Regardless Vick is done. no one, not even the CFL will touch him, regardless of suspension.

8. 93Devil

What I am getting at is so few of these guys actually save money. They live so hand-to-mouth even though they earn millions of dollars per year that long stretches without income or unexpected bills saps whatever money they have. Having to pay a lawyer for an extended period (six months to a year) might drain whatever savings he may have stowed away.

Many players will earn a few million dollars during their careers, but will never think about how to pay for their houses, cars and entourages once the NFL or NBA paychecks end.

The MLB and NHL unions prepare these guys much better for retirement, and thusly these two sports have much stronger unions.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

a post should NEVER begin with these words:

"if vick was smart...." :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. 93Devil

True, if Vick had at least one smart person in his life that he occasionally listened to...

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

... he wouldn't be in this predicament?

I was talking with a friend about this the other day, and that phrase came out, with the ending that he should be diverting his assets to Swiss accounts, like two weeks ago. Has it been reported that his assets have been frozen? I saw that they confiscated his passport, but does he still have access to his money?

12. 93Devil

If the Falcons want their money back and he does not have it, they will take all of his possessions that they can and liquidate them, I think.

What he should do is move to Florida which has some very loose bankruptcy laws.

I just do not think the guy has that much money to even put in a Swiss bank account. If he did, there would be a record of him dumping money out of his accounts here in the States to avoid payment, and I am thinking that would get him in trouble with the IRS or another branch of the Feds which is not what he needs right now or ever again.

Draft saved Draft deleted