1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Turner: Idiot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 18, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What is a "friend weekend"?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Meaning a couple of the big weekends a year that my friends and I do annually - namely fantasy football draft and auto race weekends.

3. poindexter

Don't you have the friends who say weird shit on facebook that we hear about?

You seriously have friends in their 30's who would rather people drive drunk than cab it from a bar?

4. printit

printit Member

That game didn't end until after/around midnight. I'm assuming he didn't drink before the game. Interesting timeline here on how fast he would have left stadium, gotten somewhere, gotten drunk, gotten caught.

5. Dick Whitman

They don't think they're drunk. That's the point. They say: "I'm fine." Now, we all end up in cabs. But nobody wants to admit they've drank too much. Even to themselves. In fact, it makes me wonder if being in your 30's might even increase the risk of it somewhat, under certain circumstances, because you don't want to admit to yourself that you've had too much. In your 20's, it's cool to be wasted to the point of cab rides. Not so in your 30's.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't see why you'd be puzzled over that. A LOT of idiots have that aversion. (Nothing against your friends, DW, just sayin'.)

7. poindexter

No, it just sounds like your friends are complete douchebags.

8. Dick Whitman

No, they're actually all great guys. I don't know. I'm not going to fight about it or defend their honor here or anything. The point is that sometimes, people's judgment is impaired when they drink. Yours isn't, apparently. Congrats on that.

9. poindexter

What 30 year old guy goes to a bar, drinks, and is "in denial" and would rather drive drunk than take a free cab that Dick is offering?

The story stretches the boundaries of reality. It has a Drip-like quality to it.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really. I have friends who are like that. Does not make them bad people. They just have exceedingly poor judgment in that area.

11. poindexter

Yeah, I have this Solomon-like wisdom that I don't fire up the car when I'm buzzed, and I take a cab when my friend is offering it. I'm one in a billion with this special judgment I own.

12. poindexter

People who get behind the wheel when they're drunk are bad people. News flash.

Draft saved Draft deleted