1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Turner: Idiot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 18, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/18/atlanta-falcons-star-charged-with-dui-hours-after-team-win-over-denver/?test=latestnews

97 in a 65?

DUI?

For the love of God why can't these guys understand two words: car service. And even the lowest-paid undrafted street free agent can afford it.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It's the replacement refs fault. If the game hadn't run so long, he wouldn't have had to drive so fast getting home.

And you can easily do 80 on virtually any stretch of 65 mph roadway in Atlanta without drawing as much as a blink. 90+ goes beyond pushing the envelop though.

You're spot on about the car service comment.

3. Turner the Burner indeed

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

He got busted for doing 97 in 65 at 4 a.m. No mention of BAC level. In Gwinnett County where busting young African American in nice shiny cars is the norm, not the exception.
    Wake me up when this rerun is over.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So they should not pull over vehicles going 32 mph over?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does the league still provide a car service free of charge?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My guess is that this was the same as it almost always is.

Michael Turner did not decide to drive drunk.

Michael Turner decided that he was not drunk. Then he decided to drive.

That subtle, but important, distinction short-circuits the taxi/limo/car service reasoning that seems like it should be obvious.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't imagine he would have been weaving or not going in a straight line, but I am a little surprised he showed that much speed.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I don't care what county he's in or how shiny his shit is...that first part of your post is the only one that matters.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's happened to enough NFL players that it should give them pause. And if you're concerned with DWB (driving while black), going 97 anywhere would tend to draw attention.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It absolutely SHOULD. But you know the first thing to go when you're intoxicated ... your judgment. I always wondered how effective a campaign by MADD or someone would be that really stressed this fact to people. Perhaps commercials where people drastically underestimate their BAC or something to that effect.

Draft saved Draft deleted