1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver leaves Sports Illustrated for Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Not true either. San Diego and the LA Times have broken related stories since. Nobody gave up on anything.
    Some NCAA investigations take years, especially if nobody cooperates.

But again, props to Yahoo. This is a good move for them.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

As long as Yahoo lets Silver continue to pay for access, as SI did, and as well, he'll do just fine.

3. Sandman

Sandman Member

Care to elaborate on that?

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think Chadiha was a bigger loss than Silver is. That said, I still like reading Banks, King and Dr. Z.

5. Babs

Babs Member

Totally agree here. I don't go to ESPN because of all the crap on the page. I have a Yahoo email account so I'm there a lot. I read their sports stuff and it's good. I subscribe to 0 newspapers. Not being an old geezer, I have to think people like me are going to be more and more common.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not that much.

No way.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Honestly....

There is one site I go to to see what is breaking out there. A site that gives me that in sports, news and entertainment with the ballsy sort of edge I dig.

That site is....

this site.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Just curious, but have any of you followed our posts on comScore numbers? They are the #'s that reflect how many visitors are going to sports websites. Yahoo and neck and neck with ESPN for 1st. Fox Sports is second. Sports Illustrated? Far down the list. Below Sportsline.com. Below MLB.com and NFL.com. it was below the NBA.com in June during the Finals.

We all love print, but if you were to chart print media, even SI, it's all downhill. This is unrelated to sports, but Gawker had a fascinating note recently about the Lindsay Lohan arrest. Sure it's pop culture, and sure nobody cares ... but TMZ.com had something like 15-20 posts on its website about Lohan before the LA Times/NY Times had one story up on its website.

Granted, most of these posts were of the 1-2 sentence variety ... but the point is, if you wanted updates, you went to a website. And not even a print media website.

I have noticed the AJC has mentioned on its website that it will have UPDATES all day long about Vick in the courtroom. You know blogs will be able to watch TV and relay the news just as fast. If you're sitting at your desk today with no TV, where are you going for the info? A blog? A message board? The AJC? ESPN?

9. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Yeah. I'd love to hear what the hell this means. You can't just drop something like that in this day and age and not spell it out.

10. My guess is he's talking about SI picking up the tab on dinners and such.

And biglead, you have to keep in mind that it's a self-selecting audience you're talking about. People who get their news primarily from the Internet are of course more likely to post, because that's the culture. That doesn't mean TMZ has passed the NY Times in relevance.

And I'm a big Internet fan.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Two very dangerous words that get whipped around like an Ultimate frisbee around here (and many other places in the industry)

12. Sandman

Sandman Member

The thing that hurts SI the most in this data is its lack of a major vehicle driving people to its site. Yahoo has its fantasy sports. ESPN has its network empire and fantasy sports. CBS has its network and fantasy, and ditto for Fox. SI doesn't have fantasy and it barely has a network tie-in (NBC). Having a presence on CNN.com helps, but it doesn't make up for the lack of the other two.

That said, the traffic SI does generate is almost solely on its reputation and merit, something the other sites can't claim.

Draft saved Draft deleted