1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver brings more self-deifying than all of Grantland

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 14, 2011.

1. +1

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nice to see Yahoo! Sports' treasurer posting here.

I do admit there are many, many parallels with Silver and Reilly, in that Sports Illustrated squeezed a ton of talent out of them, built them up in their own minds and to readers to the point where each believed himself God's gift to sports writing, then let them go.

As I said in the OP, there's definitely value to Silver's stories. I just think he focuses too many of them on himself and too few on Rodman.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Michael Silver's too-cool-for-school stories have long been a target around here and a legitimate one.

Learn your history, newbie. :)

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For the love of God, you're not seriously trying to play a "victim" card in regards to Silver and Reilly and their massive egos, are you?

Poor unfortunate scribblers should have been kept down in Podunk for their own good, eh?

How 'bout cracking the big time but handling it with grace, humility and an awareness that all they do is chronicle some silly diversions in life?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

sad thing is, i remember mike when he was an eager young pup covering the niners for one of the small papers in the bay area in the late '80s. was a pretty cool, most likable up-and-comer. awful what a dickwad can lay beneath the surface. :eek: ::) ??? :eek:

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No. Not trying to play the victim card. More saying that SI was smart for letting them go as their egos grew, though in each case, they could have let go a little earlier. SI has never been a place for egotistical writing, even if it's occasionally a place for egotistical writers.

I certainly don't pity Rick Reilly or Michael Silver, who are making tons of money and drawing a huge audience.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'll be interested to see how well Silver's schtick ages. He's almost too old now. In five years, he's going to be a middle-aged dude who USED to hang with athletes.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's already 45. And this particular story was about him hanging out with retired athletes.

9. At least he didn't mention Cal.

Normally Cal comes up in every discussion.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Good point. That could be his new niche. A few years down the road, hanging out at the diner for the early bird special with the retired athlete, asking the waitress if she's ever partied with a guy who has an artificial hip ...

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

[​IMG]

When did Peter King start looking like Jerry Van Dyke?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted