1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Schumacher's private test session

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hacksaw2828, Jul 30, 2009.

1. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

It didn't take Schumacher long to get up to speed. See below. Doesn't look like he forgot much. If you watch the video, he locked up the brakes a couple of times trying to find his rhythm but the shifting is in rhythm. He will finish in the top 5 at the next GP.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect that's video from when he was still active. They likely wouldn't put him in a three year old car, and they wouldn't release the video.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy living fuck! A stand-alone Formula One thread on SJ! Never thought I'd see the day. Well done, Hacksaw.

4. mb

mb Active Member

With the small exception of everything about the post being incorrect.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

There's a testing ban in F1. Schumacher won't be allowed in a F1 car until practice starts for the next race. So, if this video were real, which it obviously isn't, Ferrari would have just joined Renault on the sidelines for the European GP.

6. PCLoadLetter

I think - and I may be wrong on this - that Schumacher may be allowed to practice in last year's car, as it would be of no technical advantage to the team.

Then again, the cars have changed enough that it would probably just screw him up to do that.

I'll predict a low points finish in Valencia and Spa and a podium at Monza.

7. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

It's still a very cool video to watch whether it is recent or not so on the basis of the fact that we love the sport, it's not an irrelevant post. Considering the reports which say he hasn't tested in over a year before now and has been riding bikes, I wonder how weird it feels to him to be strapped back into a race car with all the g-forces. I bet his body will be sore no doubt for a couple of days after his first race. Just to hear Hobbs' commentary during the next race as he watches Schumacher dart in and out of traffic, should be enough to keep us entertained for a change.

8. PCLoadLetter

And to follow up, it looks like Schumacher will be getting in a 2007 car for practice.

One thing I did not realize -- he injured his neck in a motorcycle accident earlier this year, so his fitness for a comeback is not a slam dunk. I don't think Valencia or Spa are necessarily that hard on the neck, though, at least compared to a place like Turkey.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

ROME (AP) — Michael Schumacher drove an old Ferrari in a practice test for his Formula One comeback as a replacement for the injured Felipe Massa.
    The team says Friday that the 40-year-old took the wheel of a privately owned Ferrari used in the 2007 season and raced it around the Mugello circuit in Tuscany.
    Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni says Schumacher had organized the test to check his physical condition. He could not drive the current Ferrari car because of F1’s ban on in-season testing.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Coming soon ... the beep-beep-beep sound of multiple SportsJournalists.com reversals. :D

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw the thread title and thought it was a euphemism.

12. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Ahem. I appear to be an idiot. Sorry, Hacksaw.

(That said, I'm still confused as to why this is legal, but Jaime Alguersuari wasn't allowed to get any track time in any F1 car before the last race. Toro Rossi must have had an old car lying about somewhere.)

Draft saved Draft deleted