1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Sam Says He Is Gay; May Become First Publicly Gay Player in N.F.L.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Worst-kept secret is what I am told by my peeps with an ear to the ground in town.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

His round should and will be determined by his talent. If he goes in the second round, everybody "bypassed" him on some level. Doesn't mean all or any of them did it because of this news.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can you support gay rights, and be an NFL fan?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Kind of blows that whole "disruptive to the locker room" theory out of the water.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, that's disappointing.

But you know what? NFL coaches and executives usually know jack shit about how players feel. They are merely projecting their own old-man prejudices onto others.

That's the mindset that gives the NFL dicks like Mike Priefer.

6. Inky_Wretch

How the decision was made to announce it today.

http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/9/5396036/michael-sam-gay-football-player-missouri-nfl-draft

7. Inky_Wretch

So the NFL locker rooms can't be as mature as the one at Mizzou about this?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So if the guy is projected as a 3rd-to-7th round pick as is written here, as long as he's drafted his draft stock didn't "fall" despite what people will say otherwise.

If the guy can play, somebody will give him a look but his size will work against him more than anything else.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll also add, hats off to the Mizzou players and staff for their support on this.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'd bet the teammates will handle it fine. It's the media everybody should be concerned about.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'd just point out that this kid, NOT Jason Collins, will deserve the real credit for being the first openly gay athlete in one of our major leagues.

It always rubbed me the wrong way how transparently calculated and timed Collins' announcement was. He purposely waited until the very very end of his run when it was obvious he was not likely to get signed again (indeed it's a bit of a mystery how he got a contract his last couple years) but still had a month or two left on his contract to make his announcement, which enabled him to take all the credit for being first without having to subject himself to the actual hardship and risk.

This kid, on the other hand, is GENUINELY laying it on the line at the dawn of his career. Entirely opposite career situation. Takes far more courage and risk to come out this way than how Collins did it. Wish him nothing but the best.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Exactly. By that logic, anything short of being the first overall pick means a team passed him over because they're homophobic, and not because they think there's better players or their team has different needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.