1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Sam Reality Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 15, 2014.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I will bet you this is only going to feature scenes from away from the facility.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They're things that take your focus away from the task at hand. But that's not important right now...

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The distraction thing is probably overrated as a team matter, but this is not a good idea for Sam. Anything that eats time away from becoming an NFL player is bad for him right now. He should have learned that lesson when he was so unprepared for the combine.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Does Oprah realize that 7th round picks are hardly guarantees to even make a roster? This could be a very short show.

Big mistake to do this attention whoring shit before he's made the team. He should be approaching training camp the way Manti T'eo did--put your head down. focus on nothing but football, be polite when asked, but in no way seek extra attention--do that and the vets will understand the media circus ain't your fault. But certainly not if you're openly courting "extra circus" for personal gain like this.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah. If I were his agent, my advice would be to make it all about football until he proves he belongs on the field.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This show fits in with my theory that there are players who never came out not because they were afraid of the grief they would get, but that they were afraid of the attention and being put in the role of Symbol.

On the other hand, I'm sure Sam's handlers know it's a calculated risk to base THEIR future earnings on his football salary, so strike while the iron is hot, if you will.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not real smart. He gets picked in an ideal situation, yet is a longshot to make the team, and his focus is on Oprah and reality show, and not what he has to do to get better and contribute and make it in the NFL.

Jeff Fisher should be pretty pissed about stuff like this, given the question of where his focus and priorities lie, which could make the decision to cut Sam (and incur the wrath of people shouting "homophobe!") an easy and necessary one.

He sure isn't making things easy on whoever will be the second openly gay football player to enter the NFL Draft. Are teams going to pick that guy because they see him as someone who will help the organization? Or will they instantly question the player's desire to be a football player vs. being a social mouthpiece looking for the spotlight anywhere he can find it?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That should depend on the player himself. The concern, I guess, would be whether the spotlight would be looking for him -- and how he'd react if and when it found him.

9. cranberry

Yes, because no athlete could possibly become a good pro football player AND spend an hour or two a week with a TV crew documenting his experience.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This does not end well. I'm seeing a situation like Tebow's. People glomming on to him because of his faith that don't understand the game, then raise a ruckus when he doesn't make the team and claim it's about faith. But sports is the great equalizer: You can play, or you can't. Doesn't matter if you're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, gay, straight or in between any or all of the above.

Will the NFL step in and call it off? But knowing Goodell, he'll see it as another great marketing opportunity, like Thursday night games and stretching the draft over three days.

11. cranberry

The NFL might try to persuade Sam to call it off but the league has no right to tell him he can't do a documentary.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sam has lost control of his own narrative and has become a pawn of
    the progressive movement. He's going to end up like the drunken
    Indian that was part of the Iwo Jima flag photo. He'll be drinking with
    his father at Applebees.

Draft saved Draft deleted