1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Phelps' middle name is apparently Spicoli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jan 31, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No big deal, maybe, if you're an average citizen in your own home and you're not being photographed or caught.

Biggest deal in the world if you're making megamillions in corporate endorsements and have an ongoing Olympic career. Just massively dumb.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Likely not. But the fact everyone's so willing to overlook his actions because he's the golden boy is what stuns me.

I enjoy a great amount of schadenfreude here, no doubt. But the guy was caught, stupidly on camera, doing something illegal. At the very least he should be disgraced. Shows terrible judgment, absolute disregard for anything he's accomplished, etc. I was ok with him at the strip club. The reaction to this story is simply stunning to me.

edit: Thanks, 21.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Considering the underage DWI after Athens was swept away pretty easily, Phelps must have figured he had to do something more stupid after Beijing.
    He'll skate on this one, too.

4. Dignan

Dignan Guest

NBC leading the Today show with this story was a bit much.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's massively dumb on Phelps part. Massively dumb.

Talk of banning him from the next Olympics for smoking grass is massively dumb, too.

I'd love to have the weed concession at the next Olympic Village, though.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

2004: 19 years old, DWI, underage drinking = $250 fine, 18 months probation, record purged after he stayed clean through probation.

Why do you think he's not going to be given a pass on this one as well?
    It's the way our star-fucker society works.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think he will be given a pass. Hence why it stuns me. I just don't get why some athletes are shunned and treated as pariahs when they do exactly what Phelps just did.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Isiah Rider reps this post for real talk. 8)

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And when people keep saying it is no big deal, that's when, and why, it becomes no big deal. Even when it should be.

Michael Phelps has now been publicly busted for allegedly smoking weed, and, in 2004, was charged with drunk driving.

Is it really such a big leap to wonder, and maybe even suspect, that he has also done something more than "just weed"? No. And, it's not the topic here, but it's also not a big leap to go from this, to questions about the possibility of using performance-enhancing drugs. And what would that do to his legacy?

There is a pattern of behavior and stupidity here, one that shouldn't be excused.

Not everyone does drugs at some point in their lives. Considering all the testing done on athletes, and considering all that is at stake, Michael Phelps has more reason than most people to be one of those who doesn't.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Actually, it is a really big leap to go from, "He smoked weed at a party," to "He must take PEDs."

Huge leap. Leap of epic proportions.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Smoking weed is the anti PED

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Michael Phelps is a moron. But the Beamon-esq leap in from weed to PEDs is far more moronic.

Draft saved Draft deleted