1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Let's see, how do I spell it.
    Oh, yes.
    G..o..o..g..l..e...

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/06/30/google-vs-michael-moore/

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Just got back from the theater. It's definitely Moore's best work.

Sure, it gets a little old when Moore is repetitively going through his "Aw shucks, you're telling me it's free?" stuff. I think most people who enter the theater understand that health care is nationalized in Europe and Canada.

But there are tons of hard-hitting, heart-wrenching moments in the film, and Moore does a masterful job dissecting how the insurance companies make millions by denying critical health care to people based on weasely, morally bankrupt tactics.

I thought it was very powerful when Moore talked about Hillary Clinton's health care crusade of the 1990s, then ripped her for taking the hush money and falling in line with the rest of Congress in making no attempt to reform a broken system (except for reforms that increase the profit margins for insurance and drug companies).

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Also checking in: the idiot Kurt Loder on MTV, who cites a short film from the Liberty Film Festival as evidence to attack Moore but fails to mention that the film is from a right wing hack shop.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1563758/story.jhtml

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A right wing hack shop? Really? Please define "right wing hack shop," and tell me why Stuart Browning and Blaine Greenberg--two filmmakers who seem to have a libertarian bent, but don't really seem to have much of an agenda in their short film on Canada's system other than trying to get Americans to understand that socialized health care systems have their own massive problems--are running a "right wing hack shop"?

Browning is pretty up front about the picture he is trying to paint of single-payer health care systems. At least he is honest about his point of view. This is an issue he is passionate about. He also doesn't selectively present the truth. Imagine producing a documentary that doesn't omit or selectively present facts to make a more absolute point than the truth allows. He's just honest about a specific issue he cares about and he made a short film that documents the Canadian system in a truthful way. What hackery.

He's not nearly as entertaining as Michael Moore, but here is Browning speaking at the Cato Institute (yes, I know, those damned liberatarian think tanks are a bunch of right-wing hacks) last week:

http://www.cato.org/weekly/index.php

EDIT: By the way, thanks for bringing their documentary into the discussion. It is at least as instructive as Moore's film, even if it isn't as good at the demagoguery.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ragu, have you seen the movie you're accusing of "demagoguery"?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Over the weekend, while I was away.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

People in the theaters have read those words, sure.

But they actually haven't seen the visual.

I think it makes a difference.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How the hell do you know he's being honest?

9. JackS

JackS Member

Saw the movie this weekend and it is definitely a powerful and damning statement about how little we care for our people compared to other countries.

However...

It also completely ignores how little we care for OURSELVES. Michael Moore and probably half the people in the flick look like they've spent many a day quaffing donuts and Dr. Pepper, working it off on a Barca-lounger. As I've written previously on this board, America is completely and utterly brainwashed by the food, automobile, and pharmaceutical industries. We eat like sh!+, don't exercise, and then expect a (free) magic pill to make it all better? It's no surprise that government and corporate America don't give a damn about our health. Those institutions are an extension of us, and we don't care either.

People ought to watch SICKO and SuperSize Me back-to-back to get a full picture.

America runs on Dunkin?

You betcha.

10. Actually, what I think we do is expect to have the health insurance we pay for be there when we need it, and not hand medicine over to bean counters. And, Ragu, there really are only two sides to this issue. There is the way we do it, and there is the way that the rest of the industrialized world does it. The way we do it is broken, completely. They way TROTIW does it is not. Either we go on the way we have been, or we change. And the Cato change, alas, is much, much more of the same. There are any number of things The Market does well -- almost none of them when it's unregulated, by the way, as even TR observed -- but medicine is not one of them.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/06/28/sicko.fact.check/index.html

12. Heard a nurse from California on the radio today call the film the "G-rated" version of what she actually goes through every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted