1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jesus....listen to the Moron-in-Chief talk about health care on MSNBC.

Did this really happen... twice?

4. Jack, that's a good site.
    What do you know about it?

5. JackS

JackS Member

Not a ton. I get references to it quite a bit from the Mercola.com mailing list. This Mike Adams guy runs it. It's another in the holistic/wellness genre of sites.

One thing that might interest you, being such a political buff, is that all these type folks (Mercola, Adams, etc.) pretty much worship the ground Ron Paul walks on. They mostly concede he's got a snowball's chance in hell, but they love him nonetheless because he calls out all the institutions they hate most. A few recent samples of love...

http://www.newstarget.com/021925.html

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Ron-Paul-Stirs-Up-Presidential-Debate-14838.aspx

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that Jack. Never saw that site before, but it looks right up my alley. FB, no way you and I find common ground there, is there?

7. JackS

JackS Member

Don't be so simple, Simon.

One of the main reasons the health care industry got so out of whack is because the public fell under the spell of those who cause them to be sick.

You can't simply claim that government funded treatment would make everything better.

To use one of the Adams arguments, that would just be another "policy which is basically centered around waiting for everybody to get sick and then treating their symptoms while ignoring the true causes of their disease."

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Dr. Sanjay Gupta today admitted that he was wrong about some of the facts in his CNN report on SiCKO -- a report that led Michael Moore to blast Wolf Blitzer. The e-mail exchange below, between Moore's team and Gupta's producer, shows that Gupta and CNN had the facts -- including the one he apologized for -- a full day before the Gupta piece first aired on AC360 on June 29 (following Moore's first appearance regarding SiCKO on Larry King Live), and a full 10 days before the network re-aired it preceding Moore's volatile July 9 appearance on The Situation Room.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/07/10/email-shows-cnn-gupta-g_n_55697.html

9. IU90

IU90 Member

Anyone think CNN will air a public retraction or apology? You'd think after history has so thoroughly proven them wrong about the hit pieces they ran on Farenheit 9/11 that they might be more circumspect this time with Sicko. Guess not.

10. it doesn't matter. none of it matters. we're a nation that is so easily distracted by shiny new objects and constantly forced fed pop culture shit about celebrities that this will blow over. if i was a pharm. exec or even the fuckin president of the united states my response to this would be business as usual--the people in power aren't held accountable for this war, let alone healthcare. nobody is going to do anything more than wring their hands for a while--they've already won

there is more open access to info now than at any other time in history and nothing gets done. the facts, the tv clips, the memo's--it's all online, as is the means to organize with others all over the world to protest, to come up with ideas, anything to show that we won't take all this anymore--and what do we do? nothing. shit, i'm just as guilty--i wrtie letters here and there, i donate money to stuff i believe in but that's about it. we could all do more but we don't.

sorry to be so down today, but the days of thinking you can fight the system are long over.

rant over...

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Don't throw in the towel, A-Eagle. That's exactly what 'they' - the corporate 'they,' the political 'they,' the establishment 'they' - count on.

12. oh, i'm not throwing in the towel and i'll still continue to fight in my own small way i guess--just feeling a little frustrated these days....

Draft saved Draft deleted