1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore is scum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Apr 15, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gotta give you five stars for the deft use of, "I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you"!

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You know, I'm guessing that Moore isn't saying, "Look everyone! Look how great Cuba is! Look at how America sucks!" From what I've read about the film, it sounds to me like he's saying that as shitty as the conditions might be in Cuba, for as poor as they might be, they have a great health care system. It's so good, in fact, that the US makes exceptions to its embargo to get some of their medicine. As great as the United States is, with as much money as resources as we have, we lag far behind many countries in health care. Why is that?

He's not saying we should all pack our bags and head South. He's saying we should try taking a look at what other countries are doing successfully to help keep their citizens in good health and maybe give it a try ourselves. Only the arrogant would say we should just keep things the way they are because "We're America, dammit, we must be right!"

3. Every time you post something like that, American Jesus cries.

4. The Big Ragu

Pern, read up about Cuba's health care system and you'll realize two things. It is puny compared to what it would take to run something similar in the U.S. It's also the result of good preventative medicine, despite the original link on this thread that made it sound like all kinds of medical innovations are coming out of Cuba--the cancer vaccines mentioned notwithstanding, the U.S. leads the world by far in new treatments and medical breakthroughs, and Cuba isn't even on the map.

We can certainly learn a lot from the simple truism that it is cheaper to prevent illness than it is to cure it. But maybe it's worth taking a step back and considering why Cuba learned that lesson and the U.S. hasn't been forced to. There is extreme poverty in Cuba, people with not enough food to eat and an unbelievable portion of the population living in ramshackle homes without electricity. Meanwhile Castro and his cronies subjugate the population and live fat and happy. Even if they funnelled everything going into their health care system into eradicating poverty, the Cuban population would STILL live in misery. So essentially they have a slightly lower infant mortality rate than the U.S. (what Moore is exploiting), but at the cost of individual liberty and a standard of living that doesn't even begin to approach the standard of living of the typical American. Is this something Moore will be pointing out in his film when he holds up Cuba as an indictment of the U.S.? Because if he doesn't, he's full of shit.

5. You can pull a correlation between an infant-mortality rate and civil liberties?
    How do we do that exactly?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm guessing:

Civil liberties ... better industry/technology ... better economy ... better infrastructure ... better hospitals/doctors ... lower infant mortality.

7. But Cuba's IM rate is better than ours. Marginally, but better. That's what I'm not understanding in Ragu's post.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can you trust their numbers, though? I'm legitimately asking.

9. The Big Ragu

Castro is the one controlling everything--including the freedom of his population and access to health care. I don't have to equate the two. They go hand in hand in Cuba, because everything there is managed by a dictator. You live completely under his thumb. You therefore can't cherry pick the one thing you like about life under Castro (and honestly, the health of the Cuban population is not better than it is here; life expectancy is longer here.) while ignoring everything else that constitutes the price of that thing you like.

The access to health care in Cuba comes at an unsustainable cost for a FREE country. As I said, you could funnel everything he's spending on health care clinics into eradicating poverty and it wouldn't make a dent in the mess he's made of his population. As far as civil liberties go, that is another price of life under Castro. Are you willing to give up all freedoms and live in extreme poverty, for a dictator who throws you a bone with a clinic down the street that tries to prevent the serious illnesses that the society he's created can't afford to treat? Is the truth about what I am pointing out going to be featured at all in Moore's film?

10. Forgive me for saying so but, wha? Castro is a dictator ergo, he has better health-care than we do? The current mess in the US is an inevitable result of constitutional democracy? Greedy bastard insurance companies, bungling HMO's, and doctors who've sold their souls to both of them are somehow found in the penumbra of the Bill of Rights? I've heard of loose-constructionist constitutional theory but, wow.
    In reality, of course, free countries all over the world do as well or better on health care than we do. That there is anything done in the health-care field better in the basket case that Castro's made of Cuba -- with our help, of course -- than is done here in the freest, richest country on earth, and I don't care if it's infant mortality rates or a better form of Band-Aid, ought to embarrass all of us.

11. The Big Ragu

You're having the conversation you want to have, not the one that was the basis for this thread... This thread was about Michael Moore holding up Cuba as something we should be emulating. I pointed out why that this disingenuous and ridiculous. The price of the "free" health care clinics in Cuba is electricity and food. I was discussing the story that you are taking pains now not to discuss. I don't think i can be any more clear than that.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I"m so confused. We have universal health care. Does that mean we really are Canuckistan?

I doubt the message of Moore's film will be "move to Cuba and get better health care"

Draft saved Draft deleted