1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Jackson impersonates Ghost Rider

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

New video surfaces of Michael Jackson's infamous Pepsi commercial accident.
    Weird to see a guy dancing around, literally, with his head on fire and not realizing it. He goes for a good five or six seconds before a spin and his backup dancers snuff out the flames.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/15/jackson.video/index.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was just watching this on Anderson's show. Weird stuff. Surprised that was never leaked before now.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

That may honestly have been the beginning of the end right there.

And I agree with ijag - where has this footage been for all of these years, and was someone waiting for him to kick off before allowing it to surface?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Must have been. I've got to think that footage would have been worth a fortune right after it happened. I assume Pepsi had it at some point. I wonder, too, how it leaked out? After a while, you'd figure it would have been lost or forgotten about and locked away in a corporate vault somewhere. Finding this now is like finding new footage of the moon landing.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm guessing that when Pepsi gave Michael the $2 million or so in the out-of-court settlement, one of the conditions was that this video wasn't to be released. Now that he's dead, someone who had their hands on it must've leaked it for a nice cash sum.

As for the video itself, that made my stomach turn. I read plenty about the incident but I never imagined it being that bad. That must have been so, so painful.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me that I clicked on a link so I could watch a man's hair light on fire. Our world is a strange place.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, like that's the first time.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Up until the moment in that video where the pyrotechnics went off early, he was the young, talented Michael Jackson.

As he hobbled away, looking like a 70-year-old man with his bloody scalp exposed, he was Jacko.

One of the saddest videos I have seen.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was halftime, when you think about it.

Jan. 27, 1984.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just saw this on USA TODAY. Crazy.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Found an AP Photo from the story:

[​IMG]

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

So if LeBron James dies, do we get to see the footage of him getting dunked on finally?

Draft saved Draft deleted