1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Jackson coverage - TMZ says he's dead, nobody else does

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jun 25, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Is the 1:07 time correct? I'd heard like 2:25 PT earlier tonight ...

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I think obviously TMZ has someone in the hospital who fed them the info. I have to give them credit for having it, however. And they had it for a long time before anyone else did. It was fascinating to watch the whole thing unfold.

Also, this is one of those instances where the news is big enough that people will save the newspaper. I know I will.

3. SF basically said everything I was going to say here. TMZ is rock solid on breaking celeb news.

4. I wonder if TMZ has a paid contact in every major LA & Manhattan hospital.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If they do, they got their money's worth today.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Without a doubt. And UCLA hospital has had problems with celebrity info leaks in the past. I believe that's the hospital that had to discipline a bunch of people after a Britney Spears meltdown.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

tmz reported the story at 5:20 eastern. did they ever say what time he passed for certain?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a reason why newspapers are folding and sites like TMZ bring in millions and millions.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

LAT writes about it:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-jackson-media26-2009jun26,0,1993773.story

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

If I'm TMZ, I keep any number of staff at places like UCLA Medical on retainer with the promise of a whopping bonus for things like a Jackson death

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Someone here mentioned that TMZ was reporting it, but I shot back that once CNN or the LA Times gets it, I'll take it seriously. I try to avoid celebrity news (Damn kids, get off my lawn!), but if this was par for the course with TMZ, much respect to them.

12. so TMZ is owned by Time Warner and CNN is owned by Time Warner, yet TMZ reported this nearly two hours before CNN

crazy stuff

Draft saved Draft deleted