1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Irvin's induction speech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Naturally, in nearly every cable news clip I found on it (FOXNews is strictly news and ignored it all together), the "God" references in the context of Irvin's emotional moment got scrapped. It was his prayer that his kids were better men than he was off the field, but it came out as simply his wishes. But to understand it fully, the desperation of his prayer and reference to the "threshing field" adds to the explanation of why the tears were just rolling down his cheeks like a river.

So the "whole story" was lost because of the time constraints of the clip. Right. We all know how the mainstreams seek to send any of that video to the cutting floor.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Sorry mods, move this to anything goes. My bad.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

His personal beliefs are just that: personal. The news media has no obligation to run it just because he says it.

That said, Irvin's speech was outstanding. Very moving and classy.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's weak. It was PART of the context of what he was saying that WAS moving. And it's that kind of comment that speaks of a copy editor's mind-set: I'm going to cut anything referring to one's faith no matter what, so I may feel better about my own biases.

All that says is how most media loathe anything religious and in turn, why most of society loathes the media.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Thanks for people like Jim Reeves of the FWST, one of the industry's great columnists and one who doesn't shy from reflecting one's faith, including his own:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/columnists/jim_reeves/story/192109.html

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Watched Irvin's speech in its entirety today for the first time. One of the most outstanding, moving speeches I've ever heard. I was never a big fan of Irvin, although I never hated him or anything. After watching that, I'm a big fan.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I agree.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Fantastic column by Reeves.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I am a bit skeptical about the speech. The "cleansing'" of Michael Irvin doesn't occur with a bunch of tears and god references. If he wasn't fired from ESPN he would have been the same egotisical jackass he has been since college.

Over/Under on Mike getting caught with drugs/crackpipe is March 15, 2008.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Irvin's speech was okay. Liked Charlie Sanders "Hi Mom" the best. And it was nice to see the veteran's committee inductees thank newspaper reporters for their efforts.
    But watching all of the speeches in their entirety made me appreciate the clips they used to show at halftime of the HOF Game all the better. When are they playing that game? (just kidding)

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, we should all take Michael Irvin's religious beliefs seriously and those who covered it should mention it prominently. Because he's been such a pious, honest, God-fearing man all these years.

Give me a break.

If it had been mentioned by the mainstream media, and had it been pointed out that Irvin is a crack-smoking hypocrite, Yawn would be crying about how the mainstream media hates religion. So really, this was a win-win for Yawn. Either way, he gets to rail against the media and how religion is being cast aside. Snort.

Draft saved Draft deleted