1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Curry's suits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chiefwiggum, Feb 23, 2009.

1. chiefwiggum

chiefwiggum New Member

Sure, they are really ugly. But strangely, eerily beautiful. Like those pictures of landfills from far away.

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/its_just_sports/2009/02/michael_curry_may_not_be_a_goo.html

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I find the blue checked one strangely attractive.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Suits aside, is the situation the Pistons find themselves in the fault of Curry or of Joe Dumars for trading away a great team player and leader in Billups for a loser like Allen Iverson?

The Pistons -- and Curry -- made their NBA reps on hard-nosed defense. Iverson was the main defender when Ramon Sessions (who?) went off for 44 and 12 assists recently. Would Chauncey Billups ever have let that happen? No.

4. Joe Dumars knows what he's doing. He knew he wouldn't be going anywhere in the playoffs against the Celtics or Cavs. Iverson's mega deal comes off the books sooner than Billups contract which will allow the Pistons to make a run at a major free agent and restock the team.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Iverson is a shitty defender, but Chauncey Billups is insanely overrated.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

"Insanely overrated?"

I don't know about that. It's not like he's in the MVP discussion or anything like that. He made the All-Star team as a reserve, which seems about right.

I'm not sure exactly who is "overrating" him, much less "insanely."

Without him, the Nuggets were barely a playoff team. Now they might be the second-best team in the West.

With him, the Pistons were a solid enough contender against Boston and Cleveland. Without him, they might not make the playoffs.

Seems simple enough.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If Joe Dumars knew what he was doing he would have never hired Michael Curry. He would have never traded Billups who is evidently, what held that team together. You know what else, he probably should have kept Mehmet Okur as well instead of someone like Rasheed Wallace whose lazy defense cost them a second title in '05. His lazy defense cost them again in '08. You know what else, they could have kept Memo instead of Ben Wallace too cause he went for money anyway. Every day it becomes more apparent that Dumars fudged it up.

I won't credit him for that championship in '04, or getting back to the finals in '05. That was 100 percent Larry Brown. Now I hate Larry Brown, but no other coach would have taken the Lakers down like that and gone toe to toe with the Spurs. It's been a steady decline ever since.

Rasheed's technical meldowns versus Miami in '06.
    Getting burned by Boobie in '07.
    Exposed by the Celtics in '08.
    Terrible '09 campaign.

This can't be put on Curry because he is over his head. Should never have been asked to be the head coach.

All these knocks are without the Darko situation. The only reason I don't dwell on that is because in a roundabout way that turned into the Stuckey pick - but oh JOE D screwed that one up. Trading away Billups then benching Iverson, then benching Hamilton, now he has 3 guards that don't work together instead of two starters and an up and comer.

Joe has made some strong moves over the years, getting Prince with the No. 22 pick in was it '02, trading an aging Jerry Stackhouse for Hamilton in '02 I think and the sign and trade for Atkins/Wallace. But Atkins got benched once Billups came to town and didn't last long, Wallace left for money.

Rasheed was a steal, but he cost Memo because of cap reasons.

I can count his good moves on one hand... I can't count his bad ones on one hand.

1. Running Carlysle out of town. Not a big deal because we got Larry, but then he bolted. And you had to know it was going to happen.
    2. Trying to regulate playing time, stripping Flip of his authority and firing him.
    3. Hiring Curry.
    4. Trading away Billups.
    5. Allowing 'Sheeds attitude and lazy defense to be okay. Keeping him around for 3 years too long.
    6. Drafting Mateen Cleaves
    7. Drafting Rodney White - do I have that name right, or was it someone else?
    8. Darko....
    9. Signing Kwame Brown to a 4 million dollar deal. What a fucking bust.
    10. Letting Memo go.
    11. Letting the alternators go: Williamson/Jon Barry
    12. Trying to clear cap room with the idea that he can cut Wallace and Iverson when he thinks players like Bosh or Carmello (players who could be in Detroit already if it weren't for Darko) will sign in a year or two.

What free agent has Dumars ever lured? I remember them making a huge push about 8 years ago for T-MAC, and Duncan. Same deal as before with the cap space and they couldn't make it happen. And he won't make it happen again, because he never gets free agents, save Antonio McDyess, that poor poor man, who I am sure wishes he would have signed with the Celtics right about now. Fuck Joe Dumars.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Oh and Michael Curry's window pane suits are a crime against basketball. And his son is a shitty wide receiver too.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm surprised you left out his continuing employment of Mason. Because I think that's the only thing you left out.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Hey Mason Rocks!!!!

B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B- BILLLLLUPPSSSSS!!!!

11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Billups, although it wasn't exactly a huge bidding war. He came to Detroit specifically because of Dumars, who had been his idol.

The move that killed this version of the Pistons was losing Ben Wallace. In 2004-06, they had three of the best 25 players in the NBA in Wallace, Billups and Prince, and should have won at least two titles. Wallace was the most valuable player on that team, because they could ignore his offensive limitations and let him do what he does. It's exactly what is happening this year in Cleveland.

Wallace leaves, and then they trade Billups for Allen Iverson, apparently not considering that they run a low-low-tempo offense that already featured Richard Hamilton. Add in a coach that has no clue how to adjust to the skills of his roster - it's like watching Rod Marinelli or Luis Pujols - and you've got a disaster.

The funny thing is that the Palace does employ a GM who has been every bit as good as Dumars is supposed to be - Bill Laimbeer. I'm not even beginning to claim that he's going against the same level of basketball brains as Dumars, but he has constantly robbed the other WNBA teams blind since 2003.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

Submitted without comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted