1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

michael crabtree combine news

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Feb 21, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

the texas tech wide receiver, a sure-fire top 5 pick in the april nfl draft, measured in at 6-1 and 3/8, not the 6-3 tech had listed him as. worse, turns out he has the beginnings of a stress fracture in his foot and will soon have surgery to insert a screw to stabilize it. so he might not run a 40 for scouts before the draft, when folks were anxious to put a stopewatch on him.

sure seems to me like he plays more than fast enough, like larry fitzgerald and anquan boldin and many, many other great wideouts of the past who didn't time well (see: rice, jerry).

but in this workout, combine-crazed world. with millions on the line, will crabtree fall out of the top 5 now? discus, please.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fitzgerald is not good because of his speed.

Crabtree falls out of the top 5 and someone gets a great bargain for him. But he will never be as good as Larry Fitzgerald.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If the combine changes where he would have been taken, it'll be a mistake. The best way to tell if someone is a football player is by watching him play football, not tooling around at the combine. Crabtree has some really good things going for him and you don't need a combine to see them: 1) He has hands like oven mitts, 2) He naturally goes and gets the football, rather than waiting for it to get to him, and he has great balls skills. 3) He is strong and athletic.

His negative, if you are looking for one, is that he is not going to be the guy who wins a foot race against a bunch of NFL corners. I don't think it will matter. As you pointed out, Jerry Rice wasn't the foot race guy either (not that I am putting Crabtree in the record book, I am just saying stopwatches don't make football players...). If Crabtree drops it should be because of the "receivers don't make your team" mindset, not because of a tenth of a second in the 40. Because if you are making educated guesses about players, he looks like one of the three best players in the draft, if not the best one.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is kind of an easy prediction to make. Chances are that any hyped receiver isn't going to turn out as good as Larry Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald has turned into the best receiver in the NFL.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Obviously, the NFL sees some sort of value in the combine, or else why would they (or anyone) spend several days in Indy in February.

But I agree with Ragu. The best way to judge a player's talent isn't through a bunch of sterile tests. Rather, it's in actual games. Crabtree and Smith played in the two toughest conferences and played the toughest teams in those conferences. Judge them for how they played against their peers in October and not for how high they jumped in February.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What does Matt Millen think? He has a good feel for picking wide receivers.

Crabtree will be a player in the NFL regardless of height. I would look at him at larger version of Steve Smith.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Ragu completely nailed it, and I agree with mustangj. He'll drop a few slots and make some team very happy. I see no way he is not a productive NFL receiver. He actually reminds me a lot of Andre Johnson coming out of UM.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

Combine, crapbine.
    Workouts, smurkouts.
    It's as some others have noted: it's what you do when the games begin and Crabtree has shown he can do it.
    So many now get all caught up in the Mel Kiperism of evaluations. It keeps the draftniks and get-a-life fanboys hyped up, but sometimes all of this combine-draft evaluation stuff doesn't always give a final, true indicator of an athlete's ability.
    I always remember what an old pro scout told me once about this much ballyooed draft prospect who was talking smack and bragging about how he was going to turn NFL defenses on their ears with his speed, moves, etc. The ol' codger who had evaluated his fair share of such "It's all about me" dudes simply looked at the guy and said: "Yea, son, but I wanna hear back from you after you've been hit by Ray Lewis."

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

the crab man has apparently opted to put off foot surgery until after tech's workout on march 26. don't know if this is wise, but he and his agents obviously feel getting timed in the 40 is more important than rehabbing in plenty of time for training camp.

'tis a shame, imo. everyone loves to give lip service to the right idea that how you play, revealed on game tapes, is the most important factor. yet this choice screams to all that players and teams remain married to the stopwatch. sad. :( :( :(

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ragu is also the man who predicted that we would be at $200 oil by now.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

now the crab man denies everything to my man goose:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/022209dnspocrabtree.3b3fb514.html

drama, drama, drama.

Draft saved Draft deleted