1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Cherry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mark DeCotis, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

Mike Cherry, prep writer at FLORIDA TODAY newspaper in Melbourne, FL, passed away overnight.

Mike previously worked in West Virginia, among places, and made a name for himself as a pure professional and as fine a human being who ever toiled in this business.

Will post more later on.

Mark DeCotis

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jesus. Knew him in W.Va. HELL of a good guy. What the hell happened?
    He was on my radio show the first year I did it and we spent more time bs'ing about non-football stuff than we did talking about the game.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'm completely shocked. Mike easily was one of my favorite people in this business. Can't help but smile whenever I think about that grin of his -- he'd flash that smirk, and you knew that within seconds a great one-liner was coming out of his mouth. One of the quickest wits I've ever come across. Mike, you'll be missed.

4. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

Cancer took Mike's life.

He fought it like a champion, continuing to work through the chemo and radiation and displaying his wit right to end.

To say he will be missed doesn't begin to cover it

I told him many times - we sat across from each other for five years - that he was my hero and I meant that from the bottom of my heart.

Mark

5. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

My story from this morning on Mike:

For the past five years, FLORIDA TODAY prep sportswriter Mike Cherry was well known around high school sports fields across Brevard County.

The mood at those fields is a little more somber today since Mike lost a long-running battle with cancer early Monday morning. He died at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne at age 54.

Mike wrote columns, news articles and features about all prep sports. He co-hosted the "Today in Brevard Sports" television and online show from the fields of local high schools during football season.

He once said the show helped him make young athletes realize that they, too, could be stars.

Mike and his wife, Carrie, a copy editor at FLORIDA TODAY, have a 3-year-old daughter, Julia Grace.

"Mike was a treasured member of the FLORIDA TODAY family," said Executive Editor Bob Stover. "He was a talented reporter and worked as hard as anyone. But just as important was his wonderful personality. He chuckled often because his sharp wit enabled him to see humor faster than others. He made other people feel at ease and this served him well in his work with high school athletes. In everything he did here, he always gave more than was asked of him. He was completely dedicated to his work and family."

His dedication could be traced to his devotion to his craft.

"Mike loved being a sports writer, and it showed every day," said FLORIDA TODAY Sports Editor Lee Nessel. "He touched so many athletes, coaches and parents in our community with his passion for covering high school sports. We miss him dearly."

One of those coaches was Doug Butler, head cross country and track coach at Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy in Melbourne.

"Mike Cherry was a gentleman of class," Butler wrote in an e-mail. "I am sad that I never told him that I had as much respect for Mike Cherry as anyone could have for a person. I look forward to the day we meet again and I can tell him how great a man he was."

Mike also covered Marshall University and West Virginia University athletics for the Charleston Gazette and the Charleston Daily Mail.

He grew up in Turnersville, N.J., and was a graduate of Marshall University.

Donations in Mike's name may be made to the MIMA Foundation, which provides grants to cancer patients in need. Checks can be mailed to 1130 Hickory Sst., Building B, Melbourne, FL 32901.

Contact DeCotis at 242-3786 or mdecotis@floridatoday.com

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

Wow. Mike was a good guy; I remember him from my WV days. He'll be missed.

Thanks for posting, Mark.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Great story, Mark. My condolences to Michael's family.

Cancer sucks. Period.

8. UNIDude

UNIDude New Member

Since I'm chained to the desk at my SoFla paper, I never had the pleasure of meeting Mike. That said, I can echo the comments on what a great guy and professional he was. For the past five years, I talked to Mike on a near weekly basis, asking him for help in tracking down info on games in his backyard involving schools from my coverage area. I could always count on him to come through and was more than happy to reciprocate whenever I could. A true professional who will be missed. My thoughts and prayers to his family and the Fla Today staff.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Cancer is just awful.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted