1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami is America's worst place to live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Looks like the good, green stuff to me.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lived down there for three years. It's not the worst, but I'm also not clamoring for ways to get back there.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No doubt. Aside from the other stuff, I think Miami's much touted "warm weather" is wildly overrated as an attribute. Unless you're immediately adjacent to pool or ocean, South Florida ain't a pleasant place to be outside for a large chunk of the year. The cold doesn't seem as bad if the alternative is a combination of heat and humidity that makes you feel as if you're standing inside someone's mouth.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Amen, Stoney.

Having moved away from humidity in 2009, I don't know how I lived with it for 37 summers.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every Florida beach on the Redneck Riviera has a "no swim" advisory due to toxic fecal bacteria aka flesh-eating bacteria.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

South Florida is a wonderful place...to visit
    There are few worse places to live in the summer than DC and Baltimore, with the ungodly humidity. Great places to visit, except in the summer

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Everyplace has its problems. Boston is a great place to live, but unless you moved here in 1974 as I did, you can't afford to. Also, January and February are pretty mean. Miami's hot and humid. New Orleans is even more hot and humid. Each has insects bigger than you are. LA has droughts, mudslides, fires and earthquakes. San Francisco has earthquakes, tech assholes and is even more expensive than Boston. New York has, well, let's not start. But they're all fabulous cities, too.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tahoe is really nice, though.
    And it's 15 minutes from everywhere.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As someone who grew up in the Midwest and has now lived in the Gulf South since 1979, I can put up with the 8 months of summer, and everything that comes with it, to not have to deal with a real winter from November through February.

Batman likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To each their own, of course, but I've lived in the Midwest or Florida my entire adult life and have decided that snow is better than hurricanes. And even when I did one Florida stint in an area that was less hurricane-prone (St. Augustine), the hurricane insurance sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted