1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami in the RearView

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedRaidersRock, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Friend of mine in Miami says they're losing another desker in sports. Third or fourth desker in a month, plus a writer or two, and friend says it's nothing new.

I've heard my friend's perspective, and I ain't about to move the kids to South Florida, so just want to throw this out there and see what sticks. Friend ain't in sports there, so would like to hear what others think or have heard about this operation.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Always a high turnover, even in the glory days, a combination of overwork and ambitious people either being recruited away or becoming impatient waiting for opportunities in-house because there was so much talent on the desk. And also not everyone likes living there. It's warm, but not exactly paradise for everyone.

3. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

I'm betting the Knight RIdder turmoil has something to do with it, too.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The best view of Miami is in the rear view.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I echo Frank ... a very stressful place to work even in the best of times -- and my understanding is these days aren't the best of times.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree with you on that.
    There has been a lot of leaving lately. I was getting a message a day for a while there. One going back to the West Coast. Another switching to news. Another leaving for graduate school.

Some of my best years were spent there. I miss it sometimes. But certainly not the weather, especially this time of the year.

7. ChicoTheMan

ChicoTheMan Member

For what it's worth ...

I know for a fact that one of the ASE's there enlisted a college buddy of hers to post here and try to figure out who the current staffers are bitching about the Herald on this site. That sums up nicely how bad things are, that management types are more interested in recruiting moles than making things better, but I digress.

That was a couple of years back, but the person's screen name is still registered, so if you work there and post here about the situation, please be careful. We've had enough people fired as a result of what they posted on SportsJournalists.com.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If true, think they are really looking to fire someone or just curious? Does the SE seem like someone who would can people based on message board posts?

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The Dolphins job was just posted today on APSE

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2006/1935.html

Draft saved Draft deleted