1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Hurricanes Leaving the Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 21, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Orange Bowl:

Super Bowl III
    Dolphins-Chargers overtime classic
    Miami 31, Nebraska 30
    Hail Flutie

That's just for starters, and outside of the Texas-USC classic, I don't think the Rose Bowl has the quantity or quality of historically significant games. When I think Rose Bowl, I think of a place where a mediocre UCLA team calls home and where Michigan gets its butt kicked 80 percent of the time.

2. Speedway

Speedway Member

Bears-Dolphins, Monday Night, 1985 should be on that short list as well.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not true, and artificial turf fields don't count.

San Diego is a legit example, though.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Seriously... are you fucking nuts?

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Unlike San Diego, Miami is prone to torrential rains/hurricanes in late summer ... much more difficult to maintain the field at Dolphins Stadium with three tenants.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Super Bowl II (Lombardi's final game with Pack)
    Super Bowl III (some guy named Namath, who sucked as far as Hall of Famers go, but that is immaterial in this discussion)
    Super Bowl V (without it, is Diner made?)
    Super Bowl X (Steelers 21, Cowboys 17, Swann makes most famous catch in SB history)
    Super Bowl XIII (Steelers 35, Cowboys 31, Poor Jackie Smith)

UM 31, Neb 30 in OBC (plus more national title-deciding games than I care to count)
    Marino beats the Bears in 1985
    Chargers 41, Dolphins 38 OT in playoffs, plus 13 other Dolphins playoff games
    Dolphins 16, Patriots 13 OT (the night John Lennon was killed)
    Hail Flutie
    Gator Flop

7. Simon_Cowbell

Very true.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Simon just did this, but I put some effort into typing this and ain't erasing it . . .

The Rose Bowl is a great venue, but no stadium has staged more memorable games than the Orange Bowl, and it's not even close. The greatest (1981 Chargers-Dolphins playoff) and most important (Super Bowl III) games in NFL history were there.

Add Lombardi leaving the field for the last time with the Packers, the two Cowboys-Steelers Super Bowls, Flutie's miracle, the perfect 1972 Dolphins, the 1984 Orange Bowl and Tom Osborne getting the championship monkey off of his back. And others I'm forgetting.

I'm curious as to how they will paint the Dolphin Stadium field with two tenants. Will one end zone have Miami logos, the other Dolphins logos? I'm sure the Hurricanes won't tolerate having a Dolphins logo at midfield for their games (after all, they aren't Temple, who can be laughed off told to play with the Eagles paint on the field and like it).

I can't imagine you can keep repainting on natural grass.

9. chester

chester Member

The Steelers and Pitt both share Heinz Field, and I'm pretty sure there have been weekends where both have had home games.

10. Simon_Cowbell

You can easily manipulate the September schedule without a baseball team in the mix.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I know jack shit about Miami's campus, but has there ever been interest in building their own stadium? Or are three major football stadiums too much for that town?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Poor alumni athletic contribution there.

All these NFL superstars give hardly a 50 Cent to the U.

Draft saved Draft deleted