1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald ombudsman on Jason Taylor coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jun 8, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good post, Moddy.

I still hear people say, "When will this be in the newspaper?" and then express disappointment when I say it will be online or in my blog.

I believe they, and some newspaper managers, see what is online as less important, possibly frivilous, and not as "real." Managers taking this tack should reassess with any staff or contributed post or blog.

If it has your company's name on it then it should be up to your company's standards. Problem is, a lot see the online posts requiring lower standards to be cool, hip, edgy, fast, immediate or whatever other excuse is provided and don't take the time to edit or check.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that most newspapers don't have the resources in place to edit blog entries.

However, at minimum, any controversial stuff should be run by an editor.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Papers that allowed unedited anything are basically begging for trouble.
    Not saying you are wrong Ace - but if you don't have the resources to do it right, do not do it.

Heaven help the SE who pisses off somebody and that somebody decides to make a point in a blog on his/her way out the door. You'll end up with a "fuck your way to the top" like some paper in South Carolina had in its classified section years ago.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Buh ... buh ... buh ... they can just remove the offending post and no one ever will know!

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Looks like the shaky sources were for the column, not the following day's blog entry.

But should they be? It's still got your name -- and by extension, your newspaper's reputation -- attached to it. Mess with that, even if it's "just for a blog," and it might be hard to get us (the readers) to trust you again.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At some places, the demand by bosses for content on the web has outpunted the coverage by a mile.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that the people demanding that extra, unedited content will usually be unwilling to accept responsibility when something goes wrong.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the rules need to be different for a blog. Otherwise it will read just like a newspaper. Doesn't mean we can make stuff up and libel folks, though.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Define rules.
    Accuracy, fairness and taste cannot change for anything.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"What's interesting is that the people demanding that extra, unedited content will usually be unwilling to accept responsibility when something goes wrong."

Ding. Ding. Ding.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly.

"In addition to the gamer, notebook and sider that you normally have to write, we also want you to blog throughout the game and file a web only gamer within seconds of the game ending."

I have no problems holding the writers responsible, but the editors need to be responsible as well.

I don't know too many places where blogs go through the desk before they're put up on the web site.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Accuracy and fairness have to stay. Taste can go, though. We're trying to attract the kids, you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted