1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald cuts 13 more positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Aug 29, 2011.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not much detail here, but more bad news from South Florida:

http://bit.ly/rcU2dX

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If I finally decide to dump the S-S, a distinct possibility, I would have thought about going to the Herald, but it's looking less and less like there's anyplace to run to.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Four in the newsroom, including one sports copy editor.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is that what's been cut, or what's left?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Amazing that they seem to be targeting the copy editors at most places these days...

6. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Every one of these threads makes me feel worse about our industry.
    And, yes, copy editors are being targeted. You need reporters to produce copy but you don't HAVE to have copy editors. Sports editors and ASEs -- and reporters -- can read copy. Believe me, I know. We have laid off two veteran copy editors in the last 8 months and it has blown up our desk rotation.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I got my first job out of school in 1996, if we filed something before 6 p.m., it would get 3-4 reads before it went into the paper. If we filed something on deadline, it would get a minimum of two reads before it went into the first edition.

I'll bet one read is the norm these days.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One of the most concerning aspects of this fact isn't the number of reads as much as the quality of copy editors. So many of my current and former colleagues on desks have been more design- or Web-focused. The push now is for versatility among desk editors, as it is among reporters, which leads to worse editing.

Then again, that's still better than waiting for readers to comment on errors, as many blogs (even on mainstream media websites) seem to.

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

My place is far smaller than the Herald, and we have also cut copy editors, but we do still have everything getting two reads before it gets in the paper. However, I share Versatile's concern about the quality of the editing. We've had several copy editors who aren't too far out of college and don't seem to send stories back with questions very often. You can always tell when one of the more experienced copy desk people has handled a story because they want to know things you didn't think to include.

10. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

We used to always have at least one designer and two copy editors work every night, with more, obviously, on Fridays and Saturdays during football and basketball season. We are now down to 1 designer and 1 copy editor Sunday through Thursday. I've become the 2nd copy editor on some of those nights. Plus, I'm now in the office each Friday and Saturday for football. In the past, I would write a column from a college football game each Saturday, but we don't have the manpower to do that now. I will tobe in the office. This will be the first football season since the 1970s that the Clarion-Ledger doesn't have at least 2 columnists out each Saturday. ...

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It's not so much how many reads a story gets as who's reading it. Of course, one read is dangerous no matter who the editor.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hearing there was a second one from sports among the cuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted