1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald: Congratualtions Heat!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 13, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Somewhere I have a cap from the 1984 National League champion Chicago Cubs.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pretty standard practice of late. The marginal cost of production is virtually $0 -- OK, not zero, but pretty close to it -- and the marginal revenue of the ith unit is almost all profit. In that scenario, you make damn sure you have tons of stuff on-hand and throw away (i.e., donate) whatever's not sold.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, it wasn't a sweep...outside that, dunno. I should have put it on ebay the day the Sonics left town, maybe some sad fan would have thrown me a sawbuck.

4. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The Lightning mistake was the wrong editorial.

Considering the Herald's presses are in the same location as the newsroom, someone should have seen it and ordered, "Stop the presses." Surprised a pressman didn't see it.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Correction says mistake was published in "some" editions.

So apparently someone did see it, stop the presses and correct it.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LeBatard was down by the presses and he OK'd it because he wanted to congratulate the Heat for overcoming all the adversity of the haters.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Philadelphia Enquirer did same 2 years ago when they ran a Macy's add congratulating the Phillies.

[​IMG]

As far as 3rd world donations I recall reading in the WSJ a few years back that enterprising 3rd Worlders sell the shirts and hats back to collectors.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In 2003, the Miami Herald had an ad on its website telling University of Miami fans it could order the "back to back champions" DVD two days after Ohio State beat them.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They knew the title would be vacated eight years later.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Did anyone ever entertain the thought of Villanova winning the NCAA title in the 1980s?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Panama City paper had a Sears ad inviting people to see the BCS trophy the day after Oklahoma dumped FSU.

12. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

Hey! Don't hate on us homeless guys parading around Dallas in our Rangers World Series champs shirts.

Draft saved Draft deleted