1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Dolphins beat, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's pulling a reverse Saban.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm going to miss Izzy on the Tide beat. He was the main writer for all of Al.com's papers, not just the Register.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, the last Bama writer at the Register also left for a NFL beat, I think at the Boston Herald.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ian Rapoport worked for the Birmingham News. Izzy's predecessor was Gentry Estes, who now covers Georgia for 24/7 Sports.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A fine hire by the S-S, indeed.

rb

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All three Newhouse papers share Alabama and Auburn writers now. Izzy will be missed, at least by me.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

He spent 5 years in St. Pete, so he's no stranger to Tim.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very good guy...and let's face it, you have a chance to get an "Izzy" in your paper, you take it!

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Congrats to Izzy. Worked with him during my SoFla days.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Izzy's good people. To jump from preps to essentially covering two national championships to the NFL is a nice 2-year run. He's earned it.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I look forward to his coverage of the Dolphins.

12. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Congrats on the new hire. None of my business what he is making but it is true that salaries are much lower Tribune-wide -- and at the Sentinel -- than in years past. And the thing about no relocation expenses is etched in stone. Tribune is not even allowing backdoor workarounds. I know someone who left the Orlando paper 12 years ago, and tried to return for a bigger job at the Sentinel and was offered $30K less than her/his previous salary at the paper.

It's just a sign of the times. Lots of reporting jobs industry wide are being filled by young people happy to accept $40K.

Draft saved Draft deleted