1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mexican (American) football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Oct 14, 2007.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Good piece by Eli Saslow on a Mexican high school team that competes against their counterparts from Texas. As usual, the reader comments make you question humanity.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/why-we-compete/2007/10/community.html

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Believe it or not but Mexico's college football league is probably the second-best in the world behind the U.S. It's a distant second but it's better than Japan or Canada.

Monterrey Tech actually has campuses all over Mexico and four or five of them have football teams that compete in Mexico's "Division I" football league. The main campus in Monterrey dominates the league but the satellite campuses do very well also because they all offer scholarships while the public universities that field teams do not.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Lotta angry people in America, lashing out at anyone who's not like them.

We're sorta famous in that regard, all the way back.

Sometimes I'll spend a coupla hours looking through reader comments over a variety of stories, and the bigots turn up early and often.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Great story. The only error I saw, and it is small, is that there are other Mexican high school football teams which travel to the US to play. Academia Juarez is one. It plays a lot of the El Paso schools in the nondistrict portion of the schedule.

Draft saved Draft deleted