1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets getting a crack at Matsuzaka?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Dec 11, 2006.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

It's only on a blog ...

http://hotfoot.metsblog.com/blog/_archives/2006/12/11/2565193.html

... and they got it from the Sons of Sam Horn.

(13) The U.S. Commissioner shall have the authority to oversee the bidding procedures set forth in paragraphs (8) through (12) above to ensure that they not been undermined in any manner. Among other actions that he may deem appropriate and in the best interests of baseball, the U.S. Commissioner shall have the authority to revoke a U.S. Major League Club’s exclusive negotiation rights with respect to a Japanese Player (and, subject to the Japanese Club’s approval pursuant to paragraph (11) above, to award such rights to the next highest bidder, if any) and to declare null and void any contract between a Japanese Player and a U.S major League Club that the U.S. Commissioner deems was the result of conduct that was inconsistent with this Agreement or otherwise not in the best interests of professional baseball.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think it's great Boras and the Sox were so lovey-dovey on JD Drew...and now, not so much, just a week later.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

How can the dumbass Red Sox bid $51 mill for the rights to Matzusaka and then not want to pay him enough to sign him? Unless, of course, they never intended to do anything but keep him away from the Yankees, in which case the feeble commissioner better show some balls and come down hard on Theo & Co.

Lucchino's "Evil Empire" comment looks more stupid everyday.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And you leave no room to consider that Boras is being unreasonable in his demands? As if that has never happened?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But really, we all knew the Red Sox were just like the Yankees, only in different clothes.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I don't see how Boras can complain too much. $8 million annually for a guy who has never pitched a big league game is fair value, especially when bidding against nobody. How this can be considered bargaining in bad faith is beyond me. You don't get to break the bank until, you know, you actually do something.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not about to defend Bor-ass, but seriously, if mediocrities like Ted Lilly and Vicente Padilla can get $10-11 mill per, he has to think the Red Sox would pay at least that to Matzusaka after bidding such a ridiculous amount to be sure they got rights to him.

As unreasonable as Bor-ass is, I think you could make a pretty good case that to bid $51 mill (when nobody else was above low 30s) and not sign the guy is an indication that the Red Sox' only purpose was to keep him away from the Yankees.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because Gil Meche got five years and $55 million?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The problem is that they did bid a ridiculous amount just to negotiate. It isn't just how much they are going to have to pay him. It's how much they are going to have to pay him PLUS the $51 million they have to pay the team. In effect, they are starting out paying between $12 and $13 million a year for a four-year contract (all up front), without even having negotiated a contract for the guy. So you can't compare it to Lilly or Padilla. When it's Lilly or Padilla plus $51 million, it looks a bit different..

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks Oz. I knew there was another mediocrity I forgot at $11 mill per.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Then the Red Sox should have thought about that bid and budgeted better, knowing what Boras might demand. And maybe not throw $106 million at J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo.

And spnited, no problem. I'm with you on this one. The Red Sox are trying to have it both ways.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

This'll get done. Too much at stake for both sides not to get it done.

Everyone will be smiling and spouting lines like "it's just business" later in the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted