1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#metoo in sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Carlkolchak, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

With the dark side of Hollywood/Harvey Weinstein emerging, does this kind of behavior happen in sports journalism too, females being harassed and pressured by other writers, editors, athletes? There have been a few widely reported incidents, Zeke Mowatt, etc. But are there a lot of examples that happen that don't make news? I have not heard of many at all. I do know one female reporter who said an MLB star asked her if she wanted to go home with him, he would fly her in his plane home. Said if she said Yes he would have given her the interview. Not major stuff but still harassing. Another said "I had a couple guys wag their dicks at me. It was gross and weird. And it was especially disgusting when they were 6-foot-8, 350 pounds and thought it was cute to brush up next to you 'by accident.'"

Could sports be the next arena where we have a huge Harvey Weinstein type blowout story?

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Does Shawn Green use Twitter?

4. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

Buddy Love should have given seminars and written books about his pulling power and verbal skillset. Buddy Love could have changed the world :)

5. FYI ... When I Google "sportsjournalism" to get to this site, the top hits are all related to female reporters being groped and all related to World Cup coverage.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So you Google "sportsjournalism" then find and click on the link to sportsjournalists.com rather than typing "sportsjournalists.com" in the first place?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I get to Google by Binging "search engine."

JRoyal, justgladtobehere and Vombatus like this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Apparently not, to answer the OP's question.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The answer to which question? Do women working in sports journalism have to deal with harassment from colleagues and athletes? The answer is absolutely yes. They hear it from readers/viewers, too. There are plenty of sexist jackasses who resent any woman working in sports journalism.

Is there a Weinstein-type story lurking out there? I'm not sure it is possible because the Weinstein story was such a big part of a cultural shift.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’d like to think women put up with less shit than they once did...until you factor in social media. Which has to factor in.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

After a desk guy asked our first female intern to "clean up around the place" after finishing her first bylined story, I kind of knew things had to get better.

Draft saved Draft deleted