1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#MeToo 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, May 7, 2018.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hadn’t seen that allegation which wasn’t in most of the reports. Clearly there was a power imbalance with many of the women but that would always be true if someone of his stature wanted to have any sort of encounter/relationship with someone in that industry.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I guess we need to throw Chris Noth in the hopper here as well. The allegations seem at least credible and repeat over time in a similar manner. The three women who star in SATC came out in support of the women today. He's lost his role on The Equalizer and the agency that represents him has dropped him. His marriage looks to be under considerable strain as well. He's claiming that there was no sexual assault, they were consensual encounters, but it appears that his wife was not aware of them.

Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis respond to Chris Noth sexual assault claims as fallout continues

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10333177/Chris-Noths-wife-Tara-Wilson-pictured-time-accused-rape.html

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Noth is 67? Damn.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

That's kind of the point. For the most part, it has been men that have wielded that power and used it as a bargaining chip. It's sexual harassment and more often abuse and assault. That's the point.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Tighthead likes this.
  6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

gingerbread, garrow and matt_garth like this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But what do you REALLY think of him??

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I do need to work on expressing myself more clearly.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Having worked with him in Australia, I think you're being kind.
    I've detailed some of it on these pages, and I'm sick with breakthrough COVID so I have to be careful of not getting all loopy ... but in order, I saw him pull out his dick IN A NEWS MEETING, lost track of the awful things he called women and indigenous people, and heard him proposition people who worked for him way too many times to count. I mean, it was a nightly occurrence in the pub.
    This is a man who controlled what much of Australia read (News Ltd papers ruled every major city, from the Northern Territories to Perth over to Sydney), and later, the New York Post. And he got away with it for decades.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He.
    Pulled.
    IT
    Out??

Seriously, how do you get away with that??

Fred siegle, Mngwa and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Like a parlour trick. We'd be discussing possible front page stories, or the latest rugby news, and he had a little shaving sink in his office. He'd stand over it, unzip, pee ... all while talking to a room full of editors. I was only in the news meeting a few times, but saw him do it twice. Just vile. It's been written about before, though the Murdochs kept bumping him up, promoting him to NYC or wherever he desired.
    And this is by far one of his least offensive moves.

Draft saved Draft deleted