1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#MeToo 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, May 7, 2018.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

i just read that story...it's a blockbuster. Argento and her lawyers avoided reporters.

Sent to NY Times by encrypted email. Wow.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That lets Harvey off the hook.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious if there is a "road back" for those caught up in this stuff. I imagine it would have to be cooperating with a book by Lisa Bloom or somebody. Oprah's couch doesn't exist any more. The View doesn't have enough gravitas. I have a hard time thinking up a venue OR an interviewer who would give the thing credibility and doesn't have a conflict of interest. Most of the female newscasters have either been harrassed or worked with a harrasser. Not sure who the "Barbara Walters" of the moment is these days.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Road back is gonna be tricky for some. Kevin Spacey's big return to the big screen took in a whopping $126 on opening day.

5. DanOregon

Well yeah - that was one of the things that sparked my comment. And honestly, I'm not advocating that all of those who have been brought into the MeToo stuff should be welcomed back. I figure most of the newscasters like Lauer and Rose we'll see on infomercials for herbal supplements and kitchen gadgets. The actors probably should do some "clearing of the air" to apologize and take the public humilation in person - either on a book tour or through an interview. Then maybe they could get supporting gigs on Broadway. Or off-Broadway. Or touring Broadway.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The one who has a really easy path back is Louis CK. He has two advantages: (a) while what he did was gross and unacceptable, it isn't on the same level as Weinstein, Spacey, etc., and (b) he was entirely self-sufficient before, at least in terms of his standup career. He shot, edited, and released his standup specials entirely on his own dime, and he could do it tomorrow if he wanted to.

(One other advantage: his transgressions, while gross, were also perfectly in character. It's hard to imagine any Louis fans heard what he did and didn't think "Yeah, sounds about right.")

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Seems like someone else is going to have to "invite you back" right? People trying to push their way back wouldn't work. Maybe Louie writes some material for the Oscars or the Emmys, he also seems like someone who could do a great job with a dramatic role. Being well-liked and/or respected by your peers probably helps.
    One thing is certain. The only way any of these people will get steady work again is if someone thinks they can help them make some money.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Isn't that the reason 99% of all people get any work in any industry?

9. DanOregon

I don't know. There are several actors I'm surprised any producer thinks will help make any project profitable. Rob Schneider, Katherine Heigl, Sharon Stone, Tony Danza...

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is fine.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Times version of the story:

Draft saved Draft deleted