1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mervin? Your name is Mervin?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Jan 1, 2009.

1. That wedding scene in Robin Hood: Men in Tights gets me every time.

I'm really hoping that my cousin, who is officiating my wedding in less than 40 hours, omits my first name during the ceremony. But knowing him, he won't. It's not as embarrasing as Mervin, but close enough for me.

So after being together for one year, nine months and 20 days and 373 days of engagement, I finally get to say "I do" on Saturday. It's been a long road with its obvious ups and downs -- mostly the downs being never living closer than 90 minutes away from each other, and more than three hours apart for the past seven-plus months. But it's a road I'm glad we've taken.

Shortly after the "I do's" we leave for a week on our honeymoon, a long-awaited vacation and time away from newspapers, stress and my dog, who finds it funny to shred my shoes and other important things at any given moment. I get to dump him off on a friend for a week. :)

But I just want to give a thank you to everyone who's congratulated me on my engagement, impending marriage and has offered various advice, whether it be about marriage, our cruise to the Caribbean or anything else. It's much appreciated, and I'll be forever thankful.

My vows are written, I'm sure my Mom has cried twice already and I'm not real sure how I'm going to dance in front of my family and friends, but there are no nerves going into this thing. It's weird, because I was the guy who vowed never to get married, and in less than two days I'll say vows to the love of my life.

So I'll be out of commission for a while. Thanks again, friends, for your encouragement and well-wishes during this time of my life.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats, pbr. I'm hoping your first name is something other than the name I know, because that's not a weird name at all.

Regardless...congrats!!! Party on, live it up, and enjoy this time.

3. Nah, the name you know is my middle name and the name I go by. I hate it when people -- ahem, my fiancee and my mother -- use my real name. Drives me nuts.

I was just looking back at the thread I posted when we got engaged. Some funny stuff in there, and it's awesome.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Congrats. I send you all my best wishes and a lot of jealousy. :D

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

'Grats, pbr, and all the best. And keep working on him, HC.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Good luck pbr, or Horatio, or whatever your name is!

The getting away from stress will be the best part of your honeymoon.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Your name isn't nearly as bad as my grandfather's (Winston Valdimar). At least your middle name is normal.

Congrats!

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Congrats PBR. It will be the best thing you've ever done. Was for me anyway.

9. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

JINX!!!!!!!!!!!!! (left at the alter)

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

PBR,

I am sure you and Mrs. PBR will have a wonderful life together.

Enjoy tomorrow.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Congratulations!

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted