1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Everything Else.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're getting soft on us. Merry Christmas to you, and everyone else!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What you love about the holidays: My family together.
    What you dread about the holidays: The annual "Oh Shit, I forgot (whatever) *** from The Queen about 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve." Not been as bad since I started making my son go pick (whatever) up.
    Favorite holiday memory: My mom's shrimp tree. It was my job to eat all the shrimp before she officially put it out. She'd give me shit and then restock it.
    Best Damn Christmas Song: Too many to list - but Sleigh Ride, Must Be Santa and Feliz Navidad rank high.
    Gift you're hoping for: Books. Or a new topcoat.
    Best gift you bought this year: Six plane tickets, multiple show tickets.
    Gift you don't want but will probably get: Something to decorate my already fully decorated collector's case.
    Who do you miss the most during the holidays? My mother, RIP 1993. My sister tried to keep the shrimp tree going. It was not the same. She'd just give me the original shrimp in a bowl and then decorate the tree.
    Where do you wish you were right now? Right where I am, on my fat ass in my chair with my duggies and grandduggies here. Oh, the kids, too.
    Plans for New Years: None. I realized I crossed the "too fucking old" line when New Year's Eve started being no fun. We'll order pizza, watch the ball drop and fall asleep about 11.
    Your New Years Resolution: Be more patient with my kids. Just because I was on my career path at their age doesn't mean they have to be.
    Greatest wish for 2008: My kids figure out their car **** kidding, kidding. My greatest wish is that my health holds along with the health of my family and friends. We do the "thankful" thing at Thanksgiving when it is the extended family and every year I'm thankful that we've kept adding people but have yet to subtract anyone (not even through divorce). EDIT: I mean no subtractions among my brothers, sisters, their spouses, their kids and their kids' kids. We're all getting old (I'm the youngest by far) and we've had health issues including cancer, strokes and heart trouble. But we're all still alive and kicking.

Happy Holidays to all.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

On behalf of sons everywhere, including yours, I'd like to thank you for that. Merry Christmas, Moddy!

4. pallister

pallister Guest

What you love about the holidays: They make me slow down and remember what/who is important

What you dread about the holidays: Being a long, long way away from anyone who cares about me

Favorite holiday memory: Christmas Eve, 1989. Brother hosting the party thought it was getting way too loud for his two young kids (who were sleeping) and called the cops on us, so another brother, my dad and I ended up at a 24-hour greasy spoon eating hamburgers at 4 a.m. Christmas morning. It was the last full-family gathering I was a part of.

Best Damn Christmas Song: Little Drummer Boy

Gift you're hoping for: Nothing, really

Best gift you bought this year: I suck at buying gifts, but I did discover the joy of burning CDs for family and friends

Gift you don't want but will probably get: I'm happy to get anything (even socks :)

Who do you miss the most during the holidays? Mom, dad, borthers, sisters, nieces, nephews

Where do you wish you were right now? With the aforementioned group of people

Plans for New Years: Watch Arkansas lose yet another Cotton Bowl, then head to work

Your New Years Resolution: Try to enjoy life a little more in ’08

Greatest wish for 2008: That I'll fulfill my resolution

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What you love about the holidays: Now that I have kids, I thoroughly enjoy reliving Christmas through their eyes. There's nothing on Earth that could get them more excited.

What you dread about the holidays: Not much. Tomorrow I'll be at the in-laws, but I can live with it.

Favorite holiday memory: More collective memories of my childhood more than anything else. When I was little, we were a Christmas Eve present-opening family and that night was special. Every year we'd go to my maternal grandparents first, paternal second. Always a lot of fun.

Best Damn Christmas Song: Do They Know It's Christmas, Band Aid. Beautiful sentiment backed up by an equally beautiful song, especially the chorus.

Gift you're hoping for: 8GB iPod.

Best gift you bought this year: My son loves Little Einsteins and I bought him the replica Rocket from the show. He's going to shit his pants. Mrs. Bubbler and I usually wait a month or two so we can get more for the kids.

Gift you don't want but will probably get: Some bullshit shirt.

Who do you miss the most during the holidays?: Among the living, I won't see any of my immediate family this year. In fact, this might be the first year ever we're all basically separated. My brother is going to my sister's place, but they're only a few miles apart. My dad and I are both out-of-state. Pretty sure my dad has been with either myself or my sister for as far back as I can remember.

Among the departed, I always miss my mom on Christmas, she always made it very special. I miss my grandparents and I never got to celebrate Christmas with the two children my wife and I lost a couple of years ago.

Where do you wish you were right now? Home, but I'll be there shortly. Realistically, I wish I was somewhere snowy.

If I could have any wish, I wish I could be invisible and time-travel to Milwaukee '79 and kind of watch Christmas unfold for my family a generation ago. It was the last innocent Christmas I ever had.

Plans for New Years: Do my preview for the Jan. 2 game on my beat! Yeah!

Your New Years Resolution: I never do resolutions. Live and let live.

Greatest wish for 2008: I want my kids to keep growing up and finding out about the world. I want them to embrace who they are, warts and all. ... I want my wife to continue to find a way to love a dipshit like me ... I want the Brewers to win the freaking pennant ... I want to drink absinthe with my fellow SJ novelists, failing that, beer would do fine.

Merry Christmas everyone!

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shit us some jewelry on New Year's!!

Draft saved Draft deleted