1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merged: The Imus threads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Best Imus take I've read

Shaun - just so you know fenian thinks you write your column just to make us fat old white guys feel better.

I think you write what you believe and always bring great intlectual honesty to your work.

2. Re: Best Imus take I've read

Think Imus has a future on satelite radio?

3. knowledge54

knowledge54 New Member

1st off, hiphop doesn't represent every black person in America. There are a lot of black people who are not hiphop fans. So acting like we as a people deserve to be disrespected because some in our community disrespect each other and themselves is idiotic. The 2nd thing you need to understand is that not every black person who is a hiphop fan, is a fan of the so called "gangsta/prison culture" type of rap that you are speaking of. There are plenty of rappers and hiphop groups that make music without glorifying violence and demeaning women, it just so happens that the powers at be(meaning the corporations that are making the most money from the music) don't promote the positive as much as the negative. Money talks tho, so I guess you could say that if Common could sell the records that 50 cent does then the state of hiphop might look a little different. The blame can spread all around between the corporations who really run hiphop, the artists who make that type of music, and the buying consumers that support that type of music (whom happen to be overwhelmingly white). Why have you not asked yourself why mainstream white America is so in love with seeing young black males display such behavior?

I really don't think hiphop has anything to do with this Imus situation, but it was hard watching you blame black people and hiphop for white racism. In my opinion, this isn't about Imus calling them "hos", this is about Imus personally insulting their apperance on live radio/television using racial characterizations. His comments touched a nerve with me and the people I'm close to because they spoke to something deeper. Not only did he make the "nappy-headed" comment, he spoke on how the 2 teams reminded him of Spike's movie, the "jiggaboos vs wannabees" scene in particular. To me, that let's you know exactly where he was coming from. Comments like these are like a slap in the face, a snap back to reality, an Ice Cube "here's what they think about you" moment

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Nice post.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i'm late to this, but i have to say, this is one of the most articulate and well-reasoned posts i've ever read. textbook logic.

6. UKWildcatatheart

UKWildcatatheart New Member

AWESOME JASON WHITLOCK COLUMN

I have to give it up to Whitlock for writing a truthful piece about the whole Imus—Rutgers scandal. However, I am sure the thugs and homies like scoop and others will be ready to rip him a new ass today

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

Stern producer Gary Dell'Abate said yesterday that there's probably zero chance of Imus coming onto Howard's show, considering their past relationship, which was adversarial, at best. But that won't stop them from trying, knowing what Imus' answer will be.

Someone in the media went after Sharpton almost 20 years ago, post-Tawana Brawley. His name is Mike Taibbi, who along with his TV producer, Anna Sims-Phillips, wrote a book titled "Unholy Alliances." The book chronicles the detail of reporting the Brawley story for WCBS-TV, the relationship bewteen the authors (white male TV reporter and black female producer), and takes not-so-thinly-veiled shots at Sharpton's role in that mess. Excellent behind-the-scenes on how Sharpton tried his damndest to control every aspect of this investigation. A lot of similarities to what still goes on today. Find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Unholy-Alliances-Working-Tawana-Brawley/dp/0151880506/ref=sr_1_3/102-5661654-0460902?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176472566&sr=8-3

8. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Re: AWESOME JASON WHITLOCK COLUMN

Already been discussed.

When Whitlock writes a column praising black people, he's a race-baiting asshole.

When he writes one ripping black people, he "nails it."

It's one of SportsJournalists.com's noble irrefutable truths.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

When situations like the Imus/Rutgers story are taken to an extreme, you get what happened in the case of the Duke lacrosse players.

Now you ask yourself who is truly "scarred for life" --

(1) three white kids who were called rapists and racists and forced to go through more than a year of hell - not too mention the financial strain of defending themselves -- while their future was in the hands of a prosecutor who was being held hostage, because the victim was black, by the same band of self-promoting zealots who run around the country and try to make a federal issue out of every situation involving whites and blacks -- even when race isn't relevant.

or (2) a bunch of black basketball players who a shock jock -- on a show they would never even think of listening too nor are they the target audience -- made stupid comments about, comments they didn't hear and wouldn't have heard had it not been for the self-promoting zealots.

The saddest part of all of this is this -- Don Imus could have been arrested for beating up his wife last week and there would be less of an outrage and he'd be back on the air within a week and we'd never hear about it again.

Once again, what you say, if it is about certain sacred subjects, is worse than what you do even though your actions have actual consequences and victims and words, especially in this case, do not. People need to get over it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You so nailed that, Knute.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Simply by being "the last honest man," Whitlock's turned into the Celtics of sportswriters, beloved by racists. Sad.

12. Re: AWESOME JASON WHITLOCK COLUMN

I was hoping we'd be discussing this.

Draft saved Draft deleted