1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MENSA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

See, I was taught not to put personal stuff on a resume. One page, list your jobs, your work-related skills, your education, you references and call it a night.

I guess Mensa membership could fall under the jurisdiction of work-related skills (i.e. I ARE SMRT), but use judiciously. Putting on the cover letter "hire me, I have a 159 IQ and am the treasurer for Mensa's Buttwater Falls chapter)" smacks of fail-flavored hubris.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Haven't needed to look for a job for a long time.
    But I'm a woman. And I'm pretty good at what I do.
    Already, that's threatening enough to some.
    But add that extra little tidbit? It would take a special SE to dare to take that on. That's just the reality.
    At least I'm blonde, so that softens up the package a little. :D

I don't think I have much personal stuff on my resume - which actually is designed to look like the front page of a sports section, not just lines of type. Any personal stuff I may have likely is sports-related. But I don't think there is any. Haven't looked at it in awhile, though.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I stopped putting Eagle Scout on my resume pretty much as soon as I had a resume.

that said, I'm not opposed to listing professional group memberships. I might roll my eyes at a Mensa mention on a resume, but it wouldn't automatically make me disqualify a job applicant. A degree from BYU, on the other hand, would be a tough sell.:)

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

At least then it proves you don't mind going around until you find the job/wife that suits you best. Plus, you will be 40 by the time you graduate from BYU, so you will have seniority over all other applicants.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

What's the local high school mascot?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Battling Bidets

7. Boots

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Polls have closed. Ace wins.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When in doubt, go with fart jokes or toilet humor.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That surprises me. I'd definitely put that down if I had made Eagle. It's a great indication of being able to lead, organize and stick with something difficult, even at a young age. I believe something like 2 percent of all Scouts become Eagle, so it's quite an accomplishment. I'd venture to say making Eagle says as much about you as earning a college degree.

11. I dunno, I think I may value a college degree more than becoming an Eagle scout. But that's just me.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

The thing about MENSA is it is a group and if they change the score to let more or fewer people in, the only people to monitor it are the people who run the MENSA group. So it really has no standing in and of itself.

Now if you got a 4.0 GPA in college or made Magna cum laude, that certainly is something you should put on a resume because it is an accomplishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted