1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's suit, pants question -- cuffs or no cuffs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 17, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, the moths were apparently in my building (it's an apartment building). They got into my stuff and tore through some of my better clothes. This was end of last year actually. I didn't notice for a while probably because I was not around as much at the time. It just sucked. I lost one suit that I loved. But I am rid of the problem. Everything I owned got dry cleaned or washed and put in mothballs for at least a week. The moths really only go for wool, though, which is why the suits and jackets got hit particularly hard. Thorough cleaning of the area, and the place got scrubbed with a mixture of lavender oil and clove oil. We made little cloth sachets filled with lavender leaves and treated with lavender and clove oil. and they are still in the closet all around. Apparently the moths hate lavender. It really did the trick, so I guess that was right, even if the place smelled of lavender and cloves for a few weeks.

2. Depends on the type of suit. I wear a suit every day...all have cuffs, I'm 33 with semi-lengthy hair.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Don't you wear Nehru jackets?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Land's End shirts are fabulous. Great quality, reasonably priced. At one point you could buy an Egyptian cotton dress shirt for about $40.00.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If you have short legs, cuffs on the pants will make them look shorter. Something to keep in mind.

6. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

I worked on Wall Street. If your pants weren't cuffed you looked like a doorman or an affable sky cap.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Damn, you are old :D

I have four suits -- solid black, blue, gray wools and a lightweight cream -- all are pleated and cuffed.

What do you think about wearing mock turtlenecks or other shirts with suits/jackets? I'm not for advocating a golf polo with a blazer. That look is only fashionable late in the evening on the first Sunday in April in Augusta, Ga.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wall Street isn't the arbiter of fashion.

Once again, if you're a Brooks Brother kinda person, cuffs are OK.

If you're wearing an Armani suit, cuffs are ridiculous.

Whatever you wear it should be a total package.

And FH, mock turtlenecks are a fashion abomination.

9. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

I've got four myself - charcoal, medium gray, brown w/blue pinstripe and green (yes, green). No mock turtlenecks or other like shirts with full suits, occasionally with jackets (depending on the jacket and the shirt).

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Three-quarters of all the shirts I own are T-shirts, and half of those are sleeveless.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And you look damned good in your suit, based on prior observation.

As for my part, I spent an absurd amount on a wedding suit a couple of years back ... and everyone agrees it was worth every penny. Of course, none of them had to pay for it.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted