1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's fashion faux pas(es), as reported by yahoo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that's a fair point - so long as the Asian men realize that it actually is "culturally acceptable" to dress like a sixth-grader in North America. I think there's a chance that a lot of times they don't realize that.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly elements of "the look" are best left in the '60s where they belong, i.e. the glasses and the hair helmet, along with Pete Campbell's electric blue suit and Bert Cooper's bow tie. (Also, I think Cooper wears pleats - probably because of his weight, as people have rightfully pointed out.)

However, other elements - like gray suits, flat-front pants, plain white dress shirts, subtley patterned ties, and well-kept shoes - are timeless.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of agree on the Hawaiian shirts - nothing wrong with a short-sleeved shirt, but keep the flowers and decoration to a minimum.
    I'm kind of sick of the long-sleeves under the short sleeved t-shirt thing. Same with patriotic clothing.
    And I hate receiving novelty ties or boxers. I should just donate them or return them.
    Pretty much anything that screams "look at me" should be considered a faux pas when it comes to men.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had a few short-sleeve button-downs that I used to wear, but I always felt like I was in a ska band.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

Another thing I see people wear that makes me think less of them if they wear one is the white collar/blue shirt thing. It's ridiculous.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that one in a long time. And yes, it is ridiculous.

8. Big Circus

[​IMG]

Disagrees with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I wear white tennis shoes as my day-to-day shoes. I often wear a perfectly beaten up, dusty ball cap, and take a backpack with me on a regular basis when I go downtown for the day.

I live in an insanely casual mountain town, so I think I'm able to get away with a little more. The backpack, for instance, is much more acceptable here than it would be elsewhere, I think. I ride my bike all over town and a messenger bag just doesn't work as well.

I'm in the middle of the tennis shoe argument. I have some nicer leather shoes I wear when I do a less casual jean look, or a khaki pant thing, but for a casual jean look, or a cargo short look, I always go white tennis shoes. I have some people in the office that always wear tennis shoe type shoes, and that I don't get. They'll wear them with anything short of a tie outfit. They're not always white, exactly, but just as informal.

As for tucking in, only rarely. I have a few long-sleeve button-up shirts that I tuck in with jeans, but I save most of my tucking for khakis.

10. DanOregon

Thomas Magnum three-time loser.

[​IMG]

He also wore tennis shoes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another fashion faux pas - clip on suspenders.

12. Big Circus

Just to wrap this thread into a tight little bow, my overweight buddy refers to suspenders as "the fat man's best friend." Don't know if he's referring to the clip-on variety - I'm tall and skinny and have no use for such things.

Draft saved Draft deleted