1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's basketball beat reporter Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seriously?
    Sorry you didn't get the job, but wow. Yeah, sure, that's all Phil looks for in his hires.
    Some of you people need to think before you post.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Shout out to Ben for getting this gig. Good dude and reporter. He'll own this beat.

Also, why wouldn't you hire an APSE award-winner if they're the best candidate? Better papers hire better reporters ... surprise!

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. And I'm guessing this job drew triple-digits in applications. Not everyone can be hired. Doesn't mean you're not good enough. Just not good enough and the right fit for this particular spot.

And Phil has been very stand-up on this site -- and not just with this job.

He posts the job. He provides updates. I'm guessing he's answering questions in PMs and emails. As noted above, he's keeping candidates in the loop about the process (as in, finalists have been chosen). He posts who got the job.

There's no need to be bitter if you lose out and be snarky with "own an APSE award." Just keep working and be better for the next job.

4. Do better work, you'll win awards too....

5. Sounds like Phil did a good job weeding out at least one person with a bad attitude. Good job on that one, because nobody wants somebody like that on their staff.

Also, Ben is a very talented young writer. No matter who else applied, the News-Sentinel found a tremendously promising reporter.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Well they guy has five. That means he's produced at least five legitimately excellent pieces of work, which means he's beat out good competition to win those. That's about what comes with an application packet. So yeah, that's a pretty damn good clue he made a damn good hire.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Phil Kaplan has been a good guy as far as this board is concerned, and has posted jobs here and been very honest.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

In a related note, Nate Latsch will replace Ben Frederickson at Fox Sports Midwest. Nate previously worked for FSM something like four years ago and has been covering prep sports in St. Louis for a long time. Good guy.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This...and, this...

STLwriter: Seriously, if you applied for this job and want to know why you didn't get it -- heck, even if you were not a finalist -- my suggestion would be to email Phil Kaplan and ask him.

Based on my experience (and I was not a finalist), if you ask, seriously and with care and respect, he will respond...probably with the most thoughtful, detailed, complete and actually helpful-in-terms-of-feedback rejection letter you might ever receive. Yeah, I could tell he knew who I was and that he actually had gone through my stuff.

It's been a couple of years, but I still have that email. I printed it out, and frankly, I felt like framing it when I got it, and hanging it up as an example of what editors can and should do, if only they have the time (or are willing to take it, as Kaplan apparently was).

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Same here, Write. Knoxville had a position open up several years ago and Phil messaged me to say that it was more of an entry-level gig and my years of experience probably made me overqualified.

Rather than be upset, I was happy to find that out. Other SE's would just ignore an e-mail or PM and Phil took time out to tell me.

11. I can vouch for Phil as well. He treated me very well, and you can tell he goes through all of the applicants thoughtfully

12. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Listen, I’ve had just about enough of this Phil Kaplan butt kissing. Yes, he is a great guy who puts out a top notch sports section. Yes, he has a great eye for talent and his people usually advance to bigger and better things when they leave Knoxville. Yes, he is upfront during the hiring process and does a fantastic job keeping everyone in the loop. And yes, chicks dig him because he rarely wears underwear, and when he does it’s usually something unusual.
    But didn’t Larry Graham beat him in a 5K race last year?
    Enough said.

Draft saved Draft deleted