1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men 's Gold Medal Hockey Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Headbutt. Ryan Miller was the frontrunning for the Vezina prior to the Olympic break, and he's done nothing to make anyone believe differently over the last two weeks.

Piotr, I hear you. The bubble could burst. But trying to predict when that will happen is useless. And think about it ... it could just as easily be argued that he's in the heads of the Canadians given that they absolutely peppered him a week ago and withstood the challenge.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nothing new there. Ever been to a Super Bowl party and had to explain to someone what a first down is or why the team runs headfirst into the stacked line on third-and-inches? Or why a team punts the ball away on fourth-and-20?

People jump on the bandwagon all the time. A few may find it enjoyable and become true fans. Many others will wonder away and find whatever the next "cool" thing is. I think we in the media encourage this. One week it's the Super Bowl, now it's the Olympics, come Monday it will be basketball, golf or car racing. Be interested to see how many people are talking figure skating or curling for a month leading into the world championships?

I don't necessarily behave that way, but I won't poo-poo someone who wants to check out something new at the height of its popularity.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Between the NHL, Western Hockey League, World Junior Championships, my local junior and high school teams, I probably watched more than 100 games last winter, either in person or televised. And figure the count will be somewhere about that by the time the Stanley Cup playoffs are over. So guess I'm not you're typical Bubba. :)

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's just not a true SportsJournalists.com thread until Boom arrives to christen it with his own special brand of assholery.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will watch every second of the Pens playoff games this year, as I did the past two seasons. I probably will watch five minutes of their regular season games. The playoffs just spoil me that much.

If that make me less of a fan, then so be it.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't think it makes you any less of a fan. The regular-season is far too long for most people.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The ladies figure skating final and the men's downhill are the two highest profile competitions in the Winter Olympics. Hockey's behind that (though not necessarily in Canadian TV ratings). It takes place on the final day (or next-to-last-day since at least 1972) because the competition takes so long.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's just too watered down in the regular season. The NBA has the same problem.

Baseball, though, seems to have the same edge from April to October. Just the nature of the game I guess because of the one-on-one aspect.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So we're not allowed to respond to your idiotic rant.

I look forward to this summer when your are declaring once again the arrival of soccer in America.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Soccer arrives every four years, drinks some foreign beer, occasionally throws up on the carpet, apologizes, and leaves.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Geez, I thought you were a Canadian. Or at least from Minnesota. :)

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Find a single post of mine in which I have ever declared the arrival of soccer in America. Good luck.

You've become the Bill Simmons of SportsJournalists.com posters. Still have amusing moments, but the topics remain the same.

- Rip on writers people admire in an attempt to get everyone's goat
    - Rip on soccer in an attempt to get soccer fans' goat
    - Rant about the Yankees
    - have some New York-related takes
    - General a-holery.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

Draft saved Draft deleted