1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men have no friends and rely on women to do the emotional labor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 3, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife and I had a run-in over ice last weekend when we hosted a party. We're trying to nurse a few more months out of an old fridge whose ice maker has long gone out, so I dutifully fill cube trays regularly and in advance of a party I'll stash the freezer with as much extra ice as possible. During party prep the wife tried to put together a condiment bar and went into the freezer for a bunch of ice on the platter to go underneath her little serving dishes (because guys would just put out a jar of pickles, jar of relish, a bowl of onions and bottles of mustard/ketchup, and we can't have that for the guests). But when she decides the ice doesn't work for her contraption, she dumps all of it down the sink. I may have cursed a small blue streak, which a few hours later I felt pretty dumb about.

Again, people are weird with the ice.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Was the party in the Mohave desert, or Sahara?

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

possibly the most overrated novel of the 20th century.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Central Indiana, which in May can be the desert and the frozen tundra in the same day.

5. CD Boogie

My sister's ice maker has been on the fritz for years, mostly bc it's one of those french door fridges that are shit bc they don't seal properly, which leads to all sorts of problems. No one in her house use ice cubes, so they don't really care. They drink white wine, beer and Coke Zero, which are fine just coming out of the fridge. But I like my mixed drinks, particularly in the summer when I visit and I like to pour some gin and tonics. You can't drink that and enjoy it properly in July in Maryland without some ice cubes. So I went out and bought her some damn ice trays. I'm still the only one who uses them. Fix yo damn ice maker!

playthrough likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Married for nearly 23 years; come on this was a surprise to you??

Remember "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"? Wife read it and I'm thinking "all right, less consternation about the [ICE/etc.]" going forward.

Within a week, still questions fretting about the [ice/color of napkins/doe we have right soda].

Yet, I love my wife dearly because its small stuff, the bigger things? She's fantastic.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ketchup squeeze bottles and mustard squeeze bottles were perfectly designed to control condiment flow of those two items.

Relish in a dish, I get. With the little pickles, it's tough, because one hates digging in pickle juice, but pickles get dry outside their natural habitat of brine.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look at her, are you going to complain about how she eats peas? Not me.

garrow likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

garrow likes this.
  11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Saw some advice once (maybe on here?) that said don't get upset about roommate type stuff with your spouse. I put that in to practice and find little shit bugs me way less - not wringing out a dish cloth, leaving nail polish out, etc.

12. CD Boogie

My soon-to-be fiance has never lived with anyone outside her immediate family and I'm a little bit concerned because she's definitely more of a neat-freak than me and she makes a lot of comments. I'm not messy. I'm just a guy.

She's never had to accommodate other people's living habits.

Draft saved Draft deleted