1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis looks for college basketball writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by publicenemy, Jun 25, 2006.

1. publicenemy

publicenemy Member

As some of you may know, Gary Parrish is leaving The Commercial Appeal to become the national college basketball writer for CBSSportsline.com. We're sorry to see him go, but it doesn't exactly surprise us.

Parrish covered Memphis basketball for our paper. The job has a way of vaulting aggressive, talented people into national prominence.

The last four people to have the Memphis beat full time:
       1) Lynn Zinser, who now covers Olympic sports for the New York Times.
       2) Mike DeCourcy, who is the national college basketball writer for the Sporting News.
       3) Zack McMillin, who will be spending this year as a Knight-Wallace fellow at the University of Michigan.
       4) Parrish, who is off to CBSSportline.com.
       That's a pretty good record, by any measure. While we don't take credit for their successes, we do like to think their time on the Memphis beat helped them become better journalists. You can't relax when you cover Memphis for us, because it's simply too important. The Tigers outdraw the Grizzlies on TV. It's the highest profile sports beat in the city. All that, and you don't have to live in some dinky college town. Memphis is fun and funky.

So send us a some clips and a resume, if you're interested. We're looking for a graceful writer who gets his biggest charge from breaking hard news. And if, four or five years down the road, you use us to springboard to a big national position, that's fine, too. We've had four straight stars in the job -- are you one for the thumb?

Send your clips, resume and a cover letter explaining why you would stand out from an impressive list of candidates to:
    Gary Robinson, Executive Sports Editor
    The Commercial Appeal
    495 Union Ave.
    Memphis TN 38103

or e-mail questions only to:
    robinson@commercialappeal.com

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

But Memphis doesn't have a college team.

It has two pro teams, the Grizzlies and Tigers ...

3. JME

JME Member

ANyone know what kind of credentials they'll be looking for here?

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Good for Gary.

He's a good dude and knows his shit.

And he no longer has to deal with that slimebag Calipari.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Take the Kentucky opening in Louisville and apply that template, maybe dialed down a half-notch from there.

And HH, how can you forget about The Brothers? For shame.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have covered the Christian Bros., as a matter of fact, at a GSC Tournament or two ...

7. henrygale

henrygale New Member

Only those with major college beat experience need apply. And, no, the Gulf South Conference is not major.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I covered Summer baseball in Centralia (Mo.).
    I don't think they'll pass on that.

9. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

It probably wouldn't hurt to have also spent some time working the cops beat news side.

10. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

What a great place to work.
    I'm just making my required appearance in every C-A related thread to sing the praises of the guys in charge.
    My 10-week internship was an amazing experience. The person landing this job is getting a great gig.

11. It's surely a great city! Whomever gets this job will be in one of the best places to live in America.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So bootlicking is a requirement of a Commercial-Appeal internship? I thought it was optional.

Draft saved Draft deleted